Anyone have a child who wakes up screaming?

I have 3 grandkids who wake up almost every time screaming. One grandson has already stopped. However it lasted over a year. I have 4 kids NEVER did any of them do this. Anyone else have this problem?

Asked by Coastal805 at 10:25 PM on Jun. 30, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Mine usually wakes up screaming when she kicks the wall and hurts her foot! My oldest used to if something was bothering her during the day that she couldn't figure out a solution for the problem.

Answer by sadfairytale at 10:28 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• OMG! my son is only 5 months old, and i know it sounds reasonable, but he wakes up out of the blue screaming, looks around, makes sure he's being held, and falls back asleep. it seems like nightmares to me. i don't know the source of it, and it breaks my heart. please don't tell me it'll continue...could you be so kind and let me know if there is anything to do?

Answer by x0x0mommyx0x0 at 10:29 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• it could be nightares or neck cramps try having a tape recorder recording ur voicing singing or talking to them to sooth them that but only play it after they fall asleep like maybe minutes after soo there in deep sleep it helped my kids sleep longer or soothing sounds check what there eating certain foods like idk pork rinds can cause bad dreams or so i hard see if you change there food if it will help and or read soothing books or having them watch a good tv show it or something calming like warm distilled water before bed it helped my kids

Answer by Patience1 at 10:43 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• I was about 8 weeks when they saw me even though i had lost the baby b/4 that. i was 12 wks when i had my 1st u/s. but if ur really worried u could always go see another doctor?

• Do you mean, in the middle of the night? My son is 17. From the time he was around 2 years old, he woke up once a night, screaming like he was terrorized. He seemed to be unaware of who was around or what we said/did. Does this sound like your situation?

Answer by PetKat37 at 12:54 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• my 2 yr. old does, she says theres a monster in her room. she always point to the same spot on the cealing over her bed. she won't sleep in that room any more. i hope she out grows this soon.

Answer by mexicu at 1:18 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

Answer by PetKat37 at 2:07 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• yes i do and she is 5 but she always wakes up like that and sometimes i think she is awake and she is still sleeping !! have u found out anything??

Answer by bklein at 8:21 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• Maybe it's night terrors, I didn't know too much about it until my own kid started to do it, at about 1 1/2 yrs old until 2 1/2 yrs old, she would wake up once or twice a night and start crying, most times she just fell back to sleep and didn't even know she was doing it. The doctor said night terrors, and it's normal. I think sometimes, some things that kids see or hear during the day don't process until they are sleeping, and sometimes, they get frightened because they don't understand it.

Answer by 35Steph at 8:53 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• My SOs son has night terrors. He's 8, and doesn't have them as much as he used to. He has no recollection of it and it is impossible to wake him. From what I understand, they are not really harmful and they should grow out of it. He also wets the bed and we think he has them when he has to pee, but sleeps too heavy to get up and go. If you don't think they are night terrors, I'd consider taking them for counseling. Could they have endured some kind of trauma that is causing the nightmares? Good luck! Either way it can be heartbreaking!!

Answer by drowninginboys at 9:14 AM on Jul. 1, 2008