If Jesus came that we might have life and have it more abundantly why are some Christians so poor and/or unsuccessful?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 1:30 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Because money and success is not the way to happiness.
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 1:31 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Being happy and having an abundant life has very little to do with money. Not everything in life is gauged by how much money you make or how much stuff you have. To hold the view in this question is extremely narrow minded. I'm a Christian and by the worlds standards I don't have much. But my life is abundant with joy, love and true happiness...the things money can't buy. I'd rather have my life, the the blessings God has given me, then all the money and "stuff" in the world.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 1:32 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Because he wasn't talking about 'things' he was talking about happiness, Love and fulfillment. the are many people who are poor yet still live life abundantly by being thankful for what they do have. It's all about perspective.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:33 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• You don't need money to live abundantly. Some of the best things in this life are free.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:33 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Because money and success is not the way to happiness. "

Exactly! Great answer!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:35 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Money is not what life is about. Plus if had it good all the time then you would take it for granted and not appreciate life.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 1:36 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• All of the above :) great answers ladies :)
    my_monkey_baby

Answer by my_monkey_baby at 1:56 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I don't think the scripture refers directly to monetary gain.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:00 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Having life more abundantly would not exclude monetary gain though... I think that he did mean money as well. I mean when you go to the grocery store money is needed. Many times money is needed in fact Jesus had a treasurer. So if money was not needed why would he need a treasurer? I believe that the Love of Money is the root of all evil... but money is not if used as it was intended.
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 2:04 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I think the better question would be: If Jesus came that we might have life and have it more abundantly why are some Christians so unhappy, miserable, and bitter?

Abundant life doesn't necessarily mean money and success! Look at Jesus - he was pretty poor. We don't have a lot but I consider my life VERY full with a husband that really is better than I ever imagined and four small children. We got married when we were older and didn't have our first child until I was 30, so I really didn't forsee having a lot of kids. I have an abundant life for sure!!! Couldn't ask for more.

A Christian has no excuse for being bitter and miserable if we are focused on Christ and all that He has blessed us with. I know it happens - I have been that way at times, but Christ offers joy, peace, strength - a REAL abundant life!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 2:09 PM on Sep. 8, 2010