Active one year old not talking yet.

My son is 13 months old and has more energy than I could have imagined possible. He still doesn't call me mama or his dad dada yet. Is that normal for a physically active baby?

karina400

Asked by karina400 at 3:19 PM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Some babies talk earlier, some later.

No reason to worry :) But dont forget, your child can only learn what you tell him. I talk to my child EVERYTIME, since she is born. If i go to the bathroom real quick i tell her what im doing and why. If i get her dressed i always tell her exactly what im doing and of course why we have to get dressed "now the left arm.. and ooopps where is your hand?! its missing.. somewhere in the sleeve.. get it out..."... stuff like that...

... and she stll doesnt talk (15 months old).. only mama, mao (means OMA < german for Grandmother), Mapa (papa) and she also says nein (german for "no") ... "aua" (german for 'ouch').
    My friends son is 1 week younger that our girl and he talkes more... nothing you can do about it.

Dont put to much stress in it. he will talk, sooner or later :)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 3:25 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• i wouldnt stress either....my lil one didnt say much at that age and now at 18 months still doesnt day much but i know she can ughhh. Anyway they will get there when they get there
    Rysana

Answer by Rysana at 3:40 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• NONE of my three boys talked until they were 2. It wasn't til after 18 months that they even began to say words. Don't stress a BABY talking, it will happen when the child is ready to talk.
    Anonymous

• At 13 months old, I'd not worry yet. Sing. Read stories. Talk to him. Is he babbling? Is he gesturing and trying to communicate? Pay attention to the noises he's making, especially if he's making them while gesturing. He could have "words" you don't even realize are there. :) That said, it's been a while, but I believe there's a wide range of 'average' for a first word and it spans past the 1st birthday. I think the general rule of thumb is 50 CLEAR words by the 2nd birthday before red flags go up.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 3:52 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• It's actually MORE normal for an active baby. A baby can only work on one thing at a time. If yours is working on physical things then the mental things will lag behind a little bit.

My little girl was and is really active. She wasn't really speaking at 14 months and I was getting worried. By the time she was 18 months, she had quite a few words. (Doctors like to see 10 to 20 words by 18 months.) Now at 26 months, she jabbers away and we both get frustrated that her pronunciation can't keep pace with what she wants to say. Translating "toddler" all day is exhausting.

For now, remember that it doesn't have to sound like a word to be a word. You child could say "dee" or "oon" for balloon - if she always uses it the same way and you figure out what she means, then it's a word. She doesn't have to say "balloon" for it to be a word.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:58 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• My daughter barely said two words until around 15 months. The doctor kept assuring me not to worry - he said children that are very skilled physically will be a little slower to develop verbally. He was right - my daughter is 26 months now and speaks better than a lot of 5 year olds. Give it time and keep making learning speech fun, not pressured.
    dsteiner23

Answer by dsteiner23 at 4:26 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Completely normal. Don't worry about it. If he's still not talking by the time he's 18 months, I might mention it to the Ped, but still...probably still normal.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 4:55 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• My son is 11 months old and he only says "uh oh!" and my friends baby is a month older and hers says mama, dada, baba, and mine dosent :( so i hope he talks soon too! So don't worry im in the same boat
    ClvDandJ

Answer by ClvDandJ at 8:32 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• My son was the same way. He didn't say anything. Not even mama or dada. He wasn't talking at his 18mo check up and the Dr. wasn't concerned. By his 2 year check up, he wouldn't shut up! lol He is now 2 and a half and speaks in sentences. Don't worry. Perfectly normal.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 8:39 AM on Oct. 15, 2008