SAHM

Does it bother you when someone chooses to stay at home with their kids and is on welfare? I think staying at home is a privledge not a right. You should only stay home if you can afford it. I'm not trying to be mean I honestly think if you can AFFORD to stay home then do it. If you cant afford to live on one income then the mom needs to get a job as well.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:08 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• There are some situations where there is no choice in the matter.

BUT, in the vast majority, it's laziness and YES they should get a job!
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:09 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Honestly...I don't care. I stayed home and had WIC and medicaid. It was easier to watch my son grow and be with him and take any money I would make and pay the daycare and still need help. So, I picked the lesser of two evils. Once he went to school, though, I went to work.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:10 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• finding a job is hard now a days. If you're just lazy-yes. I stay at home-we have WiC, but i'm searching for a job.
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 2:13 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I'm a SAHM and we aren't on welfare, but we're on WIC. I would glady take a job to help out, but I enjoy staying home with my daughter. I can guarantee that I am not lazy while I am at home. I am constantly up doing something. And not only do I enjoy staying home with my daughter, if I did get a job, almost all of my earnings would go towards paying a daycare to watch my daughter.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 2:13 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• But you also need to think of it from their point. Ok so they are stay at home mom, who has nothing higher then a highschooleducation. which means she can get a job making min. wage. if she has 2 kids to put into daycare that is her whole check, she has no rent money, no grociery money, no money for food or bills.
    MsLouLou

Answer by MsLouLou at 2:13 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• i agree except in certain situations, for example i get food stamps and medicaid for my son because we are struggling right now but i cant find a job where i can afford daycare so i really have no choice but to stay home for the time being.. but im in college and searching for a job so im not just sitting around doing nothing about it.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 2:13 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Um well some would still be living on welfare because they couldn't afford the childcare and gas and extra expense of going to work versus staying home. A lot of times the job the mom would get would barely or sometimes not cover those costs so it isn't worth it. Personally I think all situations are different and need to be evaluated that way and I would never judge someone because they were getting government help.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 2:17 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Children are only little for so long. A mom should stay home if she wants. However, many PA programs require you work or actively look for work while they are giving you benefits.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 2:18 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Well, sometimes parents can't afford the daycare. Personally, if we really needed money I'd work, but we're fortunate in that my husband makes enough so that I can stay at home.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 2:20 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Who says that a stay at home mom has to have less than a college degree?? I am a stay at home mom and I DO have a college degree I just can stay at home right now and im gonna take it!!! I love to watch my children grow and I would rather be the one teaching them instead of a stranger. Also I am on WIC and medical care but that is what those programs are for is stay at home moms and also for people who really need it..
    ladybugky88

Answer by ladybugky88 at 2:20 PM on Sep. 8, 2010