Potty training with my 29 month old son

Ok so here's the deal. I potty trained my son at 21 months. In under two weeks he was peeing in the potty on his own, and with out my help. I never used pullup either- just straight underwear. We didnt' expect the poopy diapers to disappear just yet. NOW he is fully capable of peeing and pooping in the potty. On.His.Own. And he WILL do it, if he feels like it. Lately though, he is holding it, and pooping at night and at nap= even if he pooped in potty before nap. So we are still having to use diapers. So my question is, at what point do I give up and eliminate diapers all together, and make him poop in his underwear to make my point, or do Ijust put him back in diapers and backtrack the whole way? He's not a dumb kid, he gets it, he's just being obstinate!!!!

asalynsedai

Asked by asalynsedai at 2:16 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You're right, he is NOT stupid, but if you make any kind of issue out of this...well it is a battle you will not win. If he knows this is making you nuts, he will keep doing it. Have him help clean himself up. Don't scold..you are very lucky, most boys take until the age of 3 before being anywhere ready to train.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:33 PM on Sep. 8, 2010