• In the Spotlight:

When you make spaghetti...

how do you make or prepare the sauce? What all do you put in it?

I have some in the crockpot and I first cooked the lean ground beef in seasoning and onions, then when it's in the crock, I add mushrooms, tomatoes, sauce, garlic, a few carrots to cut down the acidity, and more seasonings. My house smells so good right now! :)

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 2:17 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I use tomato puree, tomatoes, carrots, bell peppers, mushrooms, garlic, onion, ground turkey or italian sausage, oregano, salt, sugar, parsley, and a little bit of crushed red peppers. Sometimes I will cut brocoli pieces real small when I am low on any of the other veggies. We like ours chunky with lots of veggies. I never measure anything and it always turns out different, but always soooo yummy. And by the way....Thanks a lot....now I want spaghetti!!
    AndysQueen

Answer by AndysQueen at 2:31 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I make mine on the stovetop, don't put carrots in it, and use tomatoes from my garden.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 2:18 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Well I make mine special.. straight from the jar! lol
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:22 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I make mine from scratch too. I add some tomato paste, balsamic vinegar and a bit of sugar. Also fresh basil and parsley are a must. One of my favorite things from childhood was the smell of homemade sauce when my Grandma Natalia visited.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:32 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I don't make homemade sauce but my husband always takes sauce from a jar, then doctors it up with all kinds of herbs and spices. Tastes delicious and smells wonderful!
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 2:19 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I do about what you do, but i also add Tomato Soup, Small jar of the speghetti sauce, Prego, and a little squirt of Bold Bar b q sauce.. I simmer it for a few hours.. Yummmyyyy.
    Airforce3mom

Answer by Airforce3mom at 2:21 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I make mine from scratch- I also add pureed veggies, fresh herbs and a little brown sugar.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:24 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Sounds absolutely wonderful! What time should I be over?

Seriously, I usually buy the jars of spaghetti sauce and add my own ground beef.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:28 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I never used the jarred stuff. I make my own ... watched my Italian great-grandmother, grandmother, and mother all cook everything from scratch and nothing else compares. My specialty is a meat sauce; it's so good that my teen grabs a cupful when I make it and eats it straight!!!!
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 3:29 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I do use jarred sauce, but I add in the other stuff. That's about as home made as my sauce is gonna get, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 2:22 PM on Sep. 8, 2010