Babies Encyclopedia: How often should I brush my baby's teeth?

CafeMom Team will be posting Baby Encyclopedia questions in the Babies Category from Tuesday till Friday of this week. For every question you answer, you'll be entered to win one of the $25 Gap Gift Cards that we're giving away each day!

But there's a catch... only "real" answers will be entered to win the $25 Gap Gift Card. If you do not have tested advice or an informed opinion on the topic, please wait to answer the next question. There will be plenty of opportunities to enter the contest.

We are using these questions to create a mom-tested resource for new and expecting parents, so try to use proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling when writing your answers.

Read Official Rules.

CafeMom Team

Asked by CafeMom Team at 2:22 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I brush my son's at least once a day.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 2:23 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• My daughters brush twice a day.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:24 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I try to do it twice a day, morning and night. But it's a struggle because my child fights me and she refuses to do it herself. She thinks she's supposed to chew on the toothbrush. So I'm lucky if I get her teeth brushed once a day.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 2:25 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Before teeth came in, I would wipe the gums down after each meal. Once teeth come in, I try to twice a day but sometimes it doesn't work out to more than once.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:25 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Twice a day. Even as little babies you should wipe their gums with a damp cloth. When they get their first teeth you can continue to use a washcloth or get a baby toothbrush that slips over the parent's finger. At a year a regular toddler tooth brush is appropriate. Make sure to use a baby/toddler approved toothpaste to avoid too much floride.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:26 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• At least twice a day. It helps with tooth development. As they get older, every time they eat.
    JOCKEYP2PMOM

Answer by JOCKEYP2PMOM at 2:27 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I say brush them as often as you remember until finally the child starts reminding you that they need to brush their teeth! :D I am terrible at remembering. My goal is to do it after every meal - but I fall far short. My oldest two have started to remind me that they need to brush their teeth! YAY!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 2:27 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Whent hey begin to cut teeth I typically brush twice a day per dentists recommendations. :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 2:32 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I used to used one of those little scrubbers that you put on your finger that have the little bristles on it. I would use it in my duaghter's mouth at least once a day but I tried to make it a habit of doing it twice a day.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 2:54 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Two times a day!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:09 PM on Sep. 8, 2010