Grandparents Day craft ideas?

Grandparents Day is this coming Sunday (12th). We have never celebrated it when I was a kid but now that I have kids of my own, I would love to start celebrating it with my kids. Does anyone have any craft ideas for gifts? My kids are 2 and 3 years old so it would have to be something that I can help them with.

kristinashley24

Asked by kristinashley24 at 2:25 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Holidays

• How about a hand print? You could trace theid hand on paper, then have them decorate it and frame. Another possibility would be a plaster cast of their hand (craft stores should have a kit), then have them decorate it.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 2:34 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Is that really a holiday? I think its great, but I have never heard of it
    novice2008

Answer by novice2008 at 2:35 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• This year I made the craft, but I painted a ceramic candy dish. I wrote Grammy's Sweeties on it then painted little candies on it and wrote the names of all the grandkids on them. It turned out cute. In years past, we have made cards, A handprint bouquet (cut handprints out of paper and decorate them as flowers and put them in a vase or decorate a bottle), or I have put their handprints on ceramic tiles. We have also made picture frame magnets from popsicles sticks. If I think of more I will come back.

My hubbs made his mom a rooster out of his footprint for Mother's Day when he was little (like 5 or6)......Its sooo cute!! He is 35 and his mom still has it framed in the kitchen because her kitchen is done in roosters. You could also do butterflies with their feet.
    AndysQueen

Answer by AndysQueen at 2:52 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Thanks for the ideas!!! I think I will try the handprints and footprints ones. They have 4 sets of Grandparents (one is Great-Grandparents) so all of the ideas will help in trying to come up with 4 different ideas! :-)
    kristinashley24

Comment by kristinashley24 (original poster) at 3:02 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I never celebrated it growing up. And Im gonna try to think of something this year since dd is almost 4 & old enough to participate but I dont want to spend money... Cause when it comes right down too it, Grandparents day just seems like Vday --- a day they are trying to commercialize to get more $$ out of us! UGh!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 3:44 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• We did one year for us hand prints on plain white T_Shirts and then I added each kids name under their hand prints You could make wreaths with your kids handprints also out of construction paper
    Cards grandparents love cards google some sayings to out inside of them
    Take them out to lunch or have them over for a dessert
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:55 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Hmm. I have never celebrated grandparents day either...I'll be looking for some fun ideas :)

Nsbgirl

Answer by Nsbgirl at 7:18 PM on Sep. 8, 2010