Potty training

My son is 20 months old. My DH and I had originally decided to wait a while until we began trying to potty train him. We didn't want to start when he wasn't ready, and I'm having another baby in a month. However, my son has shown significant interest in his potty. Whenever he gets a bath and gets out, he always goes over to his potty, and looks at it. Sometimes, he sits down on it, but gets up right away. He also doesn't like it when his diaper is too wet. He will pull on it, and sometimes even manages to get it off. Also, here within the past couple of weeks or so, sometimes when he poops, he will either grab a diaper or the wipes, and go lay down on the couch or in the chair, so he knows when he poops as well. I was just wondering when you started to potty train your child? How did you go about doing it? How long did it take? Anything you did that didn't seem to work well? Anything you did that DID work well? Thanks

AMZF812

Asked by AMZF812 at 2:26 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We started when our daughter was 18 months-we were doing so good! Then she got sick and got diarrhea constantly for about 6 months (some 6 times a day, it was a nightmare)-to find out it was cuz of apple juice. We started again after that finally ended. Sticker Charts did good for us-prizes when she went, and getting so happy, and clapping and all that fun stuff when she went. She is fully poop trained, but we are still working on potty. Underwear has worked pretty good-maybe one accident a day. It's a lot of work, in fact it's the worst thing about having a child (in my opinion) just keep working at it, eventually your son will get it. :) That's what everybody tells me.
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 2:38 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• We are potty training our daughter who just turned 3 in June. I couldn't imagine doing it any sooner. She understands alot better since she is older. I have done my research and everything I read suggests switching straight to panties. That's what we did with her and it is working so far and it has only been 2 days! Most people who do that say it only takes a week tops. Our son will be 2 in December and I can't imagine potty training him yet. He is still a baby and I don't think he would get it like our daughter does. I just think it would be way more work than I want to try right now since I'm expecting our 3rd. I wouldn't rush it. That's just my opinion though!
    kristinashley24

Answer by kristinashley24 at 2:45 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• We started at abt 2 , esp if the child is showing all those signs. When you think he's going to go or boys sometime shiver when they pee. run to the potty. Make a bit fuss, some parents give little treats. I would imagine he has connected the poop felling w/his body, now to connect it with the potty. They go about the same time a lot, so be prepared to watch and try him then. I also had my son go in with DH to ck out the peeing, what better way than to see Daddy and he may just catch on . Good luck, it's a lot of work, and patience. If he makes a mistake don't yell, but if he goes, lots of hugs and praise goes a long way.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 2:58 PM on Sep. 8, 2010