Emma and Emily?

I want to name my daughter Emma, which was my Great Grandmothers name. (I always give my kids family names and that is the only one still available that I like) The only problem is there is an Emily in the family. Are Emma and Emily too much alike? Do you think this will cause any problems?

Mama2JoshKatie

Asked by Mama2JoshKatie at 2:31 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Baby Names

• I think it is fine. I thought you were going to ask if they were ok for sisters, and I was going to tell you yes lol. Since it is just your cousin's child, I would absolutely use the name you love, especially since it is a family namesake!

My cousin and I were expecting at the same time last year, I had a girl and she had a boy, but her boy name was on our top 10 list. We see them maybe twice a year, so we decided to keep that name on the list and if we have a son who fits that name, we're going to use it anyway.
    So_Blessed7

Answer by So_Blessed7 at 1:27 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• No I wouldnt think so I love Emma.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:32 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Unless it's a sibling I think it's fine.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:33 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Nope. I think it's cute.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:45 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I love Emma! I call my daughter Emmy, even though her real name is Amelia. But I love Amelia the name Amelia and I love calling her Emmy. So name her whatever you want!
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 2:35 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• They're not too similar as long as they're not sisters. And Emma is such a pretty name!
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 3:02 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Unless they're sisters, I think you're fine.
    jilby

Answer by jilby at 3:42 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• As long as Emma and Emily aren't sisters then i dont think they are too close.
    coolassmom87

Answer by coolassmom87 at 3:45 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Since they're not sisters, I don't see a problem at all!
    3boysandmekmcd

Answer by 3boysandmekmcd at 4:52 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• No, I think it's a pretty name. My sister had a Bobby and my son was a Bobby. I didn't care, my son and hers both were named after their Fathers, no problem with any of us. We actually ended with the 4 of them.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 3:01 PM on Sep. 8, 2010