Survey says: Most of us think we are hotter than average, are you?

I know I am ALL THAT! ;0)

We’re fatter than we’ve ever been; at the same time, our idea of the “ideal” body has gone from lean to impossibly leaner. Still, we’re pretty damn pleased with the way we look, a new survey suggests.

In an msnbc.com/ELLE magazine survey, about 60 percent of men and women alike said they were pretty satisfied with the way they look, thank you very much — even though many of them admit that they wouldn’t exactly call their bodies “ideal.” (It’s worth noting that’s about the same percentage of Americans who are overweight.)

tasches

Asked by tasches at 2:31 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Attitude speaks louder than looks do!

^^^This!! So much. I think my body is a 2 but my face is a 7. But I've been both the "pretty" girl in the group and have gotten NO attention, and I've been the "ugly" girl in the group and been SWAMPED by guys. So beauty is really in the eye of the beholder and if you love yourself and have confidence and joy you will be attractive, even if your body or face is not perfect.
    Gooberzilla

Answer by Gooberzilla at 4:38 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I think Im better looking than average.. Im seriously not conceited I swear..
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:39 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Interesting. I consider a seven an average rating, though. And also, ELLE magazine's readers are going to be biased lol. I doubt this is an accurate portrayal of how MOST american women feel about themselves, since the survey was done on a self-selecting group.

I like my face... right now I have about 50 pounds to lose before I'll be totally happy with my body, though. I'm not UNhappy about it... I just want it to be healthier :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:36 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I'm in the low end of this survey. I'm under 30 and wouldn't think that I was better looking than average.
    tanya_marieh

Answer by tanya_marieh at 2:34 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• on that scale...I'd say i have never felt like more than a 4...and at the moment I'd say it's about a 2
    I have fought with weight since I was 15, and never felt like I had an even remotely pretty face unless I have a bunch of makeup on so...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:46 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• since the survey was done on a self-selecting group.--

this^.. ages from 18-75 were surveyed?? right..the majority of that group i bet is on the younger side, in all my 23 yrs working in the salon industry, i've never once seen a 75yo woman pick up Elle magazine. LOL!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:48 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I never agree with these surveys lol. Now if it was a question on the census...maybe lol
    Walker101

Answer by Walker101 at 3:06 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• i like how i look. not gonna lie, 21 year old in awesome shape. 6 weeks postpartum with my figure back. yep, i'm pleased
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 3:18 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Who cares what our bodies look like, if we love ourselves & have confidence....we are automtically a 7 or over. Attitude speaks louder than looks do!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:39 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• In fact, most of us think we're better-looking than average — between a 6 and a 7 on a 10-point scale — according to the online survey of nearly 26,000 msnbc.com and ELLE.com readers, ranging in age from 18 to 75. The survey was conducted by UCLA and California State University, Los Angeles, researchers.

The under-30s are an especially confident group: 28 percent of young women and 30 percent of young men rate themselves between an 8 and a 10.
    tasches

Comment by tasches (original poster) at 2:32 PM on Sep. 8, 2010