I have a 4 Year old Boy that was just diagonized with high fuctional Autism anybody have any ideas on how to handle them when they get upset

He gets mad when there is some thing on tv he doesn't like or when he is trying to say something

andrea123458

Asked by andrea123458 at 2:32 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• PECS system for his language barriers and re-direction away from the TV if it's something on there. Simply turning off the TV works too. PECS is Picture Exchange Communication System. You can google it and gets lots of info.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 2:37 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• mine is three
    was in birth to three until recently
    three therapists each once a week-picked them for answers to my questions
    in groups on here for moms who have kids with autism
    now in 3k for delayed kids
    have read everything i can get hands on
    go to autism meetings in town

mine queen of tantrums-used to smash head into bruises!
    OT tired the brushing thing-she HATED it
    i read about artifical food dyes-took all of them out of diet, she stopped head banging, still has tantrums but less bad
    i did not ignore her when she is fitting (as long as she is safe)
    sometimes even looking at her when she is fitting, starts her all over again
    routine as much as possible, transistions very very hard for kids with autism, i try to prepare her for changes
    sign language with words helped, she still uses word with sign, sometimes no sign, never just sign alone
    each child different, need to get some help from profess
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 2:58 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Because it is a spectrum disorder its really trial and error. What works for one autie may not work for your kiddo. My kids do great with redirection...some of the time. We tried pecs...worked with my daughter...not my son. My son likes the same 3 or 4 movies. So if he doesn't like what we watch we will stick a movie in for him in another room or something.

The one thing i learned with these kiddos is that you have to be creative and try to see things like they do. It can really help :)

Good luck!
    Walker101

Answer by Walker101 at 3:02 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Try to identify the things that set him off...and avoid them. lol Get an OT, ST, and PT(if needed) evaluation. Your OT will help you more than imaginable. Read, read, read. Take a deep breath when a meltdown occurs. Think how frustrated he must be with trying to communicate and not being able to. Heck, I'd have a meltdown too! Remember, above all, you didn't cause this, and your baby needs you to be as strong as possible and to help identify how to calm him down. Maybe it's deep pressure, maybe it's brushing, maybe it's soft music...it is so much trial and error because every child is different. What works for one might not work for him, but it's always worth giving it a try. Good luck, mama, I know this is hard and scary, but you can do this! You're a Mommy, and we do lot's of things we never thought possible, all for the sake of our babies.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 3:17 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Maybe try and find an Autism Parents group to find some ideas.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 3:32 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I agree with most of the advice the ladies posted, but above all, try to remember to be patient. I understand it's hard to do this especially with a 4 year old, but I have found in my experience with my son if I try to model proper behavior, he will try to imitate me. Speak with a calm, soft voice, tell him to try to calm down, model deep breathing. This still works most of the time for my son and he's 12. Good luck, Momma!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 6:51 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• i think most of the moms are right... as with any kid, trial and error is going to be the way to go... you're going to have to find what works for you and your child...
    asil

Answer by asil at 12:38 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Try to re-direct his attention and keep life VERY structued. It will make it easier on both of you.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:03 PM on Sep. 9, 2010