When do you take your toddler to the dentist for the first time?

My son is 2 yrs old and I am wondering if am supposed to take him already. I want to take him because he keeps like crunching his teeth all the time am worry he would brake one..? some advice

MommyOfJayden23

Asked by MommyOfJayden23 at 2:37 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Some time between 2 and 3.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:37 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I got told most places won't take a child in until he/she's at least 3 years old.
    SparklingHope

Answer by SparklingHope at 2:38 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• My daughter is 2 1/2 and she's been twice. She also had all her teeth before she was 14 months old-her 6 year old molars are coming in already. I think it just depends ya know?
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 2:40 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I talked to my dentist recently, and they said it's sometimes helpful to expose the children to the situation at a time when they aren't the ones that are going to get poked/prodded. So they can see that it's a normal, safe, etc. thing to do. So I'm going to take DD (she'll be 20 months then) with me to my next cleaning/check-up. They said for the most part DD will just observe, but if she will let them look in her mouth they will (I'm guessing she will, she's really good with me and brushing her teeth). Unless there are problems/concerns/etc, I think they mentioned taking them in regularly starting at 3-4 (probably depends on the specific dentist).

If you have specific concerns (that you don't think your pedi can answer), find a local pediatric dentist and call to see if they would recommend bringing your son in to be seen.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 2:42 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• My daughter's doctor recommended it after she turned one. She has been going ever since she was about 18 months...once every six months like we do. Her dentist doesn't force anything so as not to scar them for life. She checks for cavities at this point (my daughter is almost 3).
    kwest_1

Answer by kwest_1 at 2:44 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I think I'd take him now, not only for your reason, but the younger the better to acquaint him with the Dentist. Then he will be use to the Office and sitting in the chair and all that right off the git go. My kids were ok with the dentist bec of that except for 1 and she still fears the Dentist to this day.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 2:47 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Oh, I forgot. There are dentists out there that do just children. Maybe you could look into one of them, that's what I did too because of the 1 child being so afraid of the dentist. She was great with her.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 2:49 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I bumped ya! My son is terrified of his pediatrician and nurses because he had to get many blood tests during infancy. That being said, I dont see him sitting in that chair as a dentist looks at his teeth lol. He's about 2.5 years old. I agree it's a good diea to expose them to the dentist early on. At this age dentists usually just count the teeth and I guess clean them.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:21 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• The American Academy Of Pediatric Dentistry says 12 months. So does my pedi and dentist. Early visits keep toddlers calm around the dentist and they just go over how to brush, what syugary foods to watch, make sure they are off the bottle and certain times, and watch for early signs of problems. I took my son 2 days after he turned 12 months. They just brushed his teeth, added a dob of flouride to each tooth and made sure he was going to be off the bottle soon (he was off the next day). Hes going again when hes 18 months.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 3:52 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Mines three and th dr said it's time to go....
    Mammas2angels

Answer by Mammas2angels at 8:12 PM on Sep. 8, 2010