How is homeschooling lazy?

I am wondering about this, a comment on another post makes me curious. I know that thier are plenty of parents who DONOT teach and school the way they should and the children suffer but I also know that this is the minority not the majority. How am I considered lazy when I spend 70 percent of my week teaching,planning,writing lesson plans and creating projects for my kids? Another 20 percent goes to calling around and making field trips,therapy appointments,play groups ect. The last 10 percent of my week is cleaning and cooking and whatever else needs to be done.

I do not want kudos, a brownie button or a cookie for my efforts but I would like people to consider what they say before they say it. Just because you know one family or even a few that homeschooling isn't right for doesnt mean this is true of everyone.

mamallamaof2

Asked by mamallamaof2 at 2:41 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• It's not. You don't have to justify yourself to other moms. You know you are doing what is right for your family.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:44 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I would never think you were lazy. I could never do it but I give credit to parents who homeschool and who do a good job.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 2:46 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I agree!!!! Right now things are slow. Most of DD's groups, sports and activities happen during the "school" year. So we are about to be REALLY busy all the time. My days consist of cooking meals, cleaning the house, planning lessons, teaching, playing with the kids, etc. I WISH I had a lazy day,lol. I also wish, people would become a tad more educated on what real homeschooling is today. It is not just the super religious hiding thier children away at the kitchen table anymore.(Yes I have been accused of this.)
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 2:46 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Oh don't worry I do not give a hairy rats toe nail what other people think but I do wonder why people think this way. Which is why I asked:) I also wish that people would seriously think before they spoke.
    mamallamaof2

Comment by mamallamaof2 (original poster) at 2:46 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I think it would be harder work - since kids tend to tune out their parents some times.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:58 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Is there even a question here? You are claiming you don't care about opinions but yet you are tehnically asking for them.... or are you just trying to argue your point... seriously, I don't understand why you are even posting this besides to make your opinion heard.... and expecting everyone to agree with you....

so I will be the odd one of the group....

I don't care how you raise your children... they are in fact YOUR children! I do not think homeschool is "bad" nor "wrong"
    However, statistics show, that the majority of homeschooled children lack a solid social life..

I suppose it all depends why you decicded to homeschool them in the first place.

Public school teaches your child important social skills, ability to handle certain conflicts, allows for him/her to experience all types of activities/sports, etc.....

all a matter of how you would like to raise your child
    FITmama2B

Answer by FITmama2B at 3:17 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• ooh, ooh, that was me! If not , I like how the other lady thinks! Moms homeschool so that they dont have to get out of bed in the morning, they dont have to volunteer, they dont have to donate, or buy as many supplies, and they dont ahve to deal with other kids IE b-day parties etc. It is sad! All ofthe homeschooled children I know are about 2 years behind! It is sad, and pathetic, and if you dont care, then remove this question genious!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 3:20 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I don't know what was said, I haven't read the previous post but I will say that YOU DO DESERVE A MEDAL! I cannot imagine how hard and tiring it is to homeschool and I give you A LOT of credit. Just ignor anything negative someone else says because you do it for your child & who cares what their opinions are. Best wishes and keep on doing what you do Momma!! :) Good always results from good!! Have a great day!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:38 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I home schooled my son from the 6th grade on. I pulled him out of public school because public school was failing him. Not as in failing him a grade (they refused to do that because it would hurt his feelings) but failing to give him a good education. Not to mention him being constantly harassed by the other students because he was different (special needs).

The home schoolers that you know JoLee, are the exception, not the rule.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 3:40 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Every homeschooled child I have ever met is alot smarter than school taught children ( that I know ) ..... I think there are so many different ways that people homeschool... You do seem like one of the great ones who will have successful children, but then there are also the type of parents who dont really do anything beside handing their kids a book and telling them to learn.... I think everyonces opinion will be different, depending on the kind of people they know..
    AmericanaQueen

Answer by AmericanaQueen at 3:43 PM on Sep. 8, 2010