CIO?

i'm at such a loss on what to do with my dd..she's 27 months old and hasn't slept through the night in a year. she can start off in her bed, but she'll be in my bed by 2 am..we have child locks on both her door and ours, but i hate hearing her cry and she gets so worked up that she'll make herself sick. i'm exhausted everyday waking up bc i don't sleep good with only a 1/2 an inch of bed to sleep on. is there anything i can do to help her sleep through the night?

she's 27 months, eats all 3 meals a day, and a morning, afternoon and bedtime snack...we have a routine, so before bed it's dinner, bath, and reading/coutning/singing songs..she's not really napping during the day...maybe 15 minute cat naps once a day..but i don't really know how to get her to sleep longer or anything...any advice would be great!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:45 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, I think you're just going to have to go with simple reassurance. You need to place her in her room, gently close the door (maybe give her a nightlight or something), then go sit in the living room. Every time she gets up, you need to gently place her back in bed. Do not talk to her. (I watched that on Super Nanny)! LOL! If she lays in there and cries, she is hurting no one. A child will only cry for so long until they learn it's not going to get them what they want.

Good luck.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:47 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• if she opens the door, put her back in bed. if not, go in there every 15minutes or so and put her back in the bed. don't talk to her, just lay her down. she'll eventually fall asleep. i sat outside the room. that's what i did with ds during the transfer. or you could sit with her at first, every night slowly making your way so you're sitting farther away until you are right outside the door. i had to do that with dd when transfering from crib to toddler bed. eventually they got used to it, and they'd also have a small toybox in their room, so they could get up and play quietly (if they weren't quiet i'd put them back in bed, 3 times if i had to do that i'd take the toys out) and when tired enough they crawl in their bed and go to sleep.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 3:04 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• By putting her back in bed each and every time she gets up - and letting her cry if she chooses to cry.

I don't care for cry it out techniques with infants, but this child is over 2 years old. She's wanting attention at bedtime and bedtime is not time for attention. She's refusing to go to bed because she wants attention and she's getting it. She needs to learn that her crying is not going to get her what she wants.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 3:04 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Wow -are you sure you aren't talking about my son?? I am dealing with this too.. I've tried just about everything out there - even 5 months of putting him back every night -I am hoping time will just step in soon - good luck mommy..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:30 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• This sounds so exhausting! I think the other mommies on here have some great advice. Good luck to you!
    arouthier

Answer by arouthier at 4:19 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Is there any reason she is waking up that you can figure out? or does she just like coming in to sleep in your bed? When my kids come into my room in the middle of the night I usually take them back to their bed rub their back for a second and leave. It works for my kids, they haven't cried after I left.

Nsbgirl

Answer by Nsbgirl at 7:34 PM on Sep. 8, 2010