Is anyone against homeschooling?

OctoberOrganics

Asked by OctoberOrganics at 3:45 PM on Oct. 14, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'm not at all!

I homeschool my children and would never send them to public school to be "dumbed down". My 5 year old reads at a second grade level, she also does math at a second grade level. If I were to put her into public school she would be held back.

I am not only pro-homeschool, I am also anti-public education.

melmilkmaid

Answer by melmilkmaid at 11:47 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I'm NOT.... we homeschool!!
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 3:46 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I'm kinda of against it for all 13 years of a child's life but not if it's just part of it. I believe children need the social interaction that traditional school provides.

I plan on letting my kids go to elementary school and middle school at public school then giving them the option to home school for high school as they can finish faster. If they are anything like me, they will be bored in school, I was in AG classes a lot and the regular classes were boring!
    Anonymous

• im not against it but i dont like that kids miss out on some of the things taught to them by being in school...social skills and disciple of going to your "job" everyday weather its school or work, dealing with a diverse group of people and learning coping skills. I think kids need a break from mom and dad to figure themselves out. Dont get me wrong im really not liking some of the things i see going on with the schools either but the my opinion
    Rysana

Answer by Rysana at 3:56 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• My only issue with homeschooling is that every homeschooled child that I know that was homeschooled the entire process have serious social problems. However, if they were only homeschooled for part of their educational process, that didn't seem to happen. We have one high school and one middle school here and the elementary schools are very strict about zoning, so there are a lot of children that are homeschooled. I was good friends with three different girls that were homeschooled up until high school. All three of them ended up going crazy with bad decisions because they were finally given a chance to make those decisions. They had never had to deal with serious life decisions before and they didn't know the real ramifications of their actions, but I am sure that is a nod to the parenting process as well.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:00 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Depends on who is doing the teaching. My cousin homeschools her daughter. her daughter is 9 and can't read yet. She's also behind on her math. My cousin fails to teach on a regular basis. It's "when they feel like it" which, quite frankly, next to never.. She's doing a great disservice to her daughter.

However, if you're not my lazy cousin, I think to each her own. It's not for *me* but that doesn't mean its' wrong.
    Anonymous

• I am. I had friends that were homeschooled and when they went out into the world they were social nightmares!! They didn't know how to function with other people and no one liked them. My lil bro was also homeschooled and he was totally screwed up. But as long as it's homeschooling with some social interaction it's ok.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 4:03 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I was homeschooled and I do not have social interaction problems. I am a very strong individual because of it, I have no desire to please people just for a "friendship" like many public schooled kids. I have better social skills, life skills, and am much more intelligent than many of my public schooled friends. Oh and yes I homeschool my children, my 5 year old son is doing 2nd grade work.
    little.miss.mom

Answer by little.miss.mom at 4:10 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Most homeschooler, like myself, enroll their children in classes and/or are part of a homeschool group that meets 1-2 days a week. Even though my kids are homeschooled, they attend classes on Thursday's at the local natural history museum: those classes are art/science related. They are in a classroom, at the museum, with 10-15 other children and 2 of the museum staff educators are teaching them. On Tuesdays, like today, we meet with our homeschool group; They both take 3 classes each there, taught in a classroom by an other adult. Their class size there are 10-12 kids. Our homeschool group does a play every year; so not only is there that but there is play practice; Sports/Gym through the YMCA. (again another thing taught by someone else). Field trips: This week are are going to take a tour of a local radio station, last week it was a Japanese garden. Oh and we are apart of 4H. So what exactly are my kids missing?
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 4:15 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I'm not against it, but personally wouldn't do it.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 4:34 PM on Oct. 14, 2008