Does Non-(fill in the blank) equal Anti-(fill in the bank)?

I'm a non-christian...does that make me Anti-christian?

Are non-believers automatically opposing to those who choose to believe?

Why do some people assume, that if I'm not WITH them, I'm AGAINST them.

What's with all the US vs. THEM mentality?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:02 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I've been trying to figure out the us vs them mentality for some time now. I don't think we've ever gotten an answer to it other than it's what it taught.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:21 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Personally, I am against all forms of organized religion. Particularly those which have historically speaking caused atrocities beyond which my mind is capable of wrapping around.

I understand that some people *need* religion, and to each their own. It is when religion causes harm that I have the incentive to actively campaign against it.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:06 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• well, that's how a lot of Christians see it (not ALL ot them)...if it isn't of God then it is against him
    so then, non- believers must be against them

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:10 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Anyone who can't tell the difference between "non-" and "anti-" isn't worth bothering with.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:29 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I don't know why some are like that. The only thing that comes to mind is that some religions are more exclusionary than others. So, in order for their religion to be correct, all others must be wrong. I think that's where some of this divisiveness stems from.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 3:57 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I'm a non-christian...does that make me Anti-christian? --

idk, does it? for some, it certainly seems that way. and vice versa. too many people pigeon-hole individuals because they ascribe to certain beliefs/organizations/whatnot. there will always be persons who adamantly argue against something, like its their life's mission..and hopefully, those that accept differences and move on, will find their voice and use it, too, occasionally.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 4:45 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Of course it doesn't. I am non-Christian, I married a Christian - obviously I'm not anti-Christian... It one doesn't make you the other... Although you CAN be both, it's not an automatic...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:03 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• No. Although SOME non = anti, you can't generalize any one group of people. A number of years ago, I crossed from non into anti, and I can only speak for myself, not any group of people who may believe the same.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:40 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I think it is something taught among some churches/religions. THe idea that we all MUST believe the same or else your a dirty, stinking, rotten sinner. And if your a sinner of a non believer, somehow those sins are worse than the sins of the self professed christian. And if your worse, than you are no good.
    And why in the world wouldn't a non believer WANT to be saved, unless of course they simply are AGAINST you. Or "evil".
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 4:42 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Welcome to CM. :) I know it is not fair, but it happens in cyber world. Just because you are pro X does not make you against X.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 4:53 PM on Sep. 8, 2010