When did you choose to stop breastfeeding & why?

I have been breastfeeding for 5 months, and I am planning to stop in about a month, or should I keep breastfeeding?
I just want to finish school & I don't have enough milk to pump, only about an ounce will come out...so my only other option is to stop breastfeeding.

JanetCG

Asked by JanetCG at 3:02 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• Most women can only pump an ounce. That doesn't reflect how much milk you actually have. You can train your body to only produce at certain times of the day. My DD nursed everytime I was home just fine but I couldn't get enough to feed her at daycare so I supplemented. She self-weaned at 11 months as I was going for 2 years at least of nursing. :(
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:07 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I won't stop until they stop on their own. You can feed her all night and she will go all day without and wait on you. As long as she gets the same amount as if she nursed all day..she will nurse all night.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:08 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Not everyone can get a lot when they pump out. Just so you know. It is different for everyone on one. As for the breastfeeding when done. I did it till my girls were ready to be done.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 3:15 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I had to stop at 2 months.. my son was not handling my milk :( it was devistating.. I would have done it til he was ready to stop if I could have
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:25 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I've chosen to let me kids self-ween, so with my daughter we stopped when she was 18 months. With my 12-month-old son, we're still going, but I think he's going to be done soon. But I'm also a SAHM, so I haven't had any additional pressure to stop.
    jilby

Answer by jilby at 3:28 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Kudos for nursing at all first and foremost. Stopping completely is NOT your only option though. Many women supplement with formula while away at work/school and still nurse while with their children. I personally did not choose when my child quit nursing they chose themselves and this meant 18 months with my first (due to second pregnancy) and 35 months with my second. You might also be surprised once you are away and pumping while at school how much you can get. If I were you I would make an attempt to pump while at school and if need be supplement with formula while away and still nurse while at home.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 3:36 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I went full on for 6 months. Then because it was getting harder and harder to pump at work I stopped pumping during the day and breastfed when I got home and through the night until my daughter was a year old. I think a good 6 months is perfect, of course going a whole year is better, but you have to do what you have to do and though I loved it, it was just not something I could continue. Good luck.
    cloverlover24

Answer by cloverlover24 at 3:45 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• You have an option that you didn't mention. Nurse while together, expressed milk + formula when you are apart. Lots of mom's don't think about this, so I just wanted to mention it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:55 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Oh, and to answer, my DD weaned at about 13 mos, and DS is 3 and still nurses at bedtime. I've been working since DS was about 18 mos.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:56 PM on Sep. 8, 2010