What exactly is a midwife?

I know this sounds goofy but i have heard of them but would like to know exactly what they do and are qualified to do.
In California where i'm from it was something of choice, I'm now in Colorado and they only have midwives for the term of your pregnancy.. Just would like to know what to expect at first appt.

BobbieJo286

Asked by BobbieJo286 at 3:04 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:07 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Midwifery is a health care profession in which providers offer care to childbearing women during their pregnancy, labor and birth, and during the postpartum period. They also care for the newborn through to six weeks of age, including assisting the mother with breastfeeding. ..
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:06 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• in the simplest terms midwives are better than obgyns in the having a baby department. they are trained in delivering a baby and they help you have the birth that you want instead of a doc who will try to force you into the birth they want. docs tell you what to do, midwives listen to what you want and are just as competent. a midwife delivered my baby at the hospital and she was a hell of a lot more personal than the ob who popped in once to tell me what was wrong with my birth plan, nothing on my birth plan was wrong according to my midwife
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 3:09 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• A midwife is a normal birth expert. (OBs are for high risks-complications.)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:21 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Midwife: A person trained to assist a woman during childbirth. Many midwives also provide prenatal care for pregnant women, birth education for women and their partners, and care for mothers and newborn babies after the birth. A midwife may be a man or a woman. Depending on local law, midwives may deliver babies in the mother's home, in a special birthing center or clinic, or in a hospital.

Most midwives specialize in normal, uncomplicated deliveries, referring women with health problems that could require hospitalization during birth to a hospital-based obstetrician. Others work with physicians as part of a team. Legal qualifications required to practice midwifery differ between the US states and various countries. See also midwife, certified; midwife, certified nurse; midwife, certified professional; midwife, direct-entry; midwife, traditional
    Bugbait

Answer by Bugbait at 3:33 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Oh my.....I had three babies and none of my Doctors tried to force me into anything. They all discussed labor and deliver before hand and listened to my feelings. I had good experiences all three times. And two of them were in Air Force base hospitals. I don't get this "anti-Doctor" rant here at CM All I see is posts from Moms who say they don't like Doctors. Holy cow. How rude and ignorant.
    My first delivery was more complicated. Placental abruption--and they handled it well. I gave birth vaginally. Both my baby and I were fine. The second and third were uneventful and all I needed was a local for the episiotomy. which,by the way prevented tearing and weakening of the pelvic floor .
    So...lets just discuss Midwives WITHOUT bashing Doctors,okay?
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 9:01 PM on Sep. 8, 2010