eating for three

I am 20 weeks now and I am having twins but Im not as hungry as you would think honestly its like I cant eat a lot really. I am starting to worry bc I wanna make sure im getting enough good stuff in for my babies but nothing sounds good and when it does I cant eat a lot of it its like they have clamped off my stomach or something any advice?

lolo0636

Asked by lolo0636 at 3:14 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• you only need about 600-800 extra calories each day. NOT much. especially if you eat junk. Don't worry about it. Your babies will take from you what they need- it isn't them that will suffer, it's you.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:17 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• there is a book written by a dr that works at a multiples clinic. she believes most twins come early because the mom is under nourished. do it for your babies mama!
    believe me, it is hard to have a baby in the nicu! i couldn't imagine two in there!
    at one point in my pregnancy with my twins, i gave up on salads, and put more of a focus on higher calorie foods. i was trying to constantly eat. at the end, dh was doing almost all of the cooking, so it was a lot of grilled cheese and broiled steaks!
    good luck and congratulations!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:18 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• have you tried eating frequently? eat something small every hour or 2? good luck, and congrats :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 3:22 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• When I had twins it wasnt until I was in my later trimester that I took on a HUGE craving for extra food. I was eating at 3 and 4 in morning. It was like I had to eat or not sleep. I only gained 30 lbs carrying twins and the doctor was never concerned about my initial very slow weight gain. What I suggest is to eat healthy when you do eat. Your body will let you know when to eat and when to eat extra. And your doctor will monitoring everything else, sugar levels etc.. I would not worry about it just make sure you get the extra calcium (yogurt, ice cream, broccoli, milk (cheese can bind you up) and take your mulit vitamins. Just try your best to eat healthy.
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 3:26 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• honestly most doctors will tell a mom having only one baby that you are not really eating for 2. The babies coming early because of malnourishment doesnt sound right and if you are eating, they wont be malnourished. If your dr seems to think you are fine, I wouldnt be concerned. If you are struggling to eat alot then I would eat higher calorie foods to make up the difference. Is this your second pregnancy or first? with my first I was starving all of the time and with my second I wasnt hungry until the last few weeks of pregnancy.
    sparklebug86

Answer by sparklebug86 at 3:28 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I was the same way when I was pregnant with my twins. Don't worry, your babies will take from you what they need, and your body will let you know when you are hungry! Try to eat more smaller meals instead of three bigger meals....it will help with not feeling as full as quickly.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 3:37 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Read the following:  "Try to eat as much of your food in its natural state as possible. Select whole grain breads, cereal and pasta or low fat milk and cheese. Enjoy fresh fruit and vegetables as often as you can when you eat for a health twin pregnancy. Limit your consumption of processed and canned foods. They are filled with too much salt, saturated fat and refined sugar."

Congratulation!

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 3:47 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I am about 20 weeks with twins right now adn I have the same problem. I have not gained any weight yet, but I don't feel like my appetite has changed, although I am more picky. My OB is not concerned, she just wants to continute with the prenatals, iron and makes sure I am eating healthy food. Which I do...most of the time lol. It's weird because with my first I gained about 60lbs right away.
    mellibelli917

Answer by mellibelli917 at 8:50 PM on Sep. 8, 2010