Cleaning My Rats' Cage

I have two rats - one blue and one white rat. I clean their cage weekly and only use water to get it clean, but the smell of their urine is starting to get a little overpowering even with regular cleaning. I am looking for tips on how to neutralize that smell when I am cleaning their cage, but I do not want to use any chemicals because they are a little older and both of them are sensitive to chemical smells (they sneeze for days if I use anything stronger than water).

Any tips on how to get rid of the smell without putting my rats at risk?

WomanWitty

Asked by WomanWitty at 3:20 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Pets

• Despite all my rage I'm still just a rat in a caaaaage. Oh, sorry, got reminded of the SP's. ;-)
    Have you tried vinegar, or a mixture of baking soda and water?
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 3:23 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Distilled vinegar. That is what I always used for mine. I miss my rats.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:23 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Use "Natures Miracle" diluted w/ water. It's not a chemical, but an enzyme that eats the ammonia. We use it with ours.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:26 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I will try the vinegar and if that doesn't work, I will go and by the enzymatic stuff. Thanks so much ladies!
    WomanWitty

Comment by WomanWitty (original poster) at 3:32 PM on Sep. 8, 2010