is it safe to be on cafemom? should i leave cafemom?

i attened a parent's board meeting last friday and the director of the school told us that the internet is not safe at all!!!!!! i asked her about '' cafemom''? she said '' its not a safe website''.... she also told us that putting your child or children's pictures on the internet is not safe....... there are many online predators that can get your address, name and last name, what you looked like ect.......

filipina99

Asked by filipina99 at 4:07 PM on Oct. 14, 2008 in About CafeMom

• how can they get my information if i only have my first name up?

and if you think like that you might as well sel your computer?
    Im sure we could come up a reason why ANYTHING is unsafe.. but you cant live your life stressing out like that and hiding in a nut shell.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 4:09 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Post anonymously and don't put real info. on your profile. That should protect your privacy.
    Anonymous

• Sure the internet for young children is not safe if they are not supervised. I am sure that you don't have your address and name anywhere on cafemom, but, I think this is a pretty safe website. Yes, there are kooks out there always looking,. You have to be smart on any website , no matter what it is, but, you also have to be just as safe anywhere else also.If they can get what I look like from cafemom, then they are damn good, let me tell you!
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 4:11 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• There are extra precautions that you can take to ensure your safety. You can make your profile and pictures private and only invite friends that you trust and know personally. I think that the internet CAN be a perfectly safe place for EVERYBODY so long as you take the extra precautions necessary. Never give out your identity, always supervise your children's computer time, only use your SS# or any other personal information on certified and secured websites, etcetera. So long as you are a WISE and INFORMED internet browser, you will be safe.

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 4:13 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• OK, it is possible to track you down from your ISP address. However, you have to be a relatively skilled hacker to do that. And there are so many more walls that said hacker would have to break through to get that info than there used to be. But to be fair, parent portal websites from the school have the same risk. Or your bank account website. Or if you pay your bills online. LIke Kelso said, you can't hide out. Everything in life is a risk, some are just more worth it than others.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:15 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Yes, I have heard that it is possible to locate someone (ie: address) via the internet (though I, personally, have no idea how it's done).

I usually set my pix to private, so that only people who I add as friends can view them. I don't think that every single person in the world, who uses the internet, should just stop b/c of it "POSSIBLY" not being 'safe'. But it is completely up to each person, and it's all about what you yourself are comfortable with!;)
    ErinWells

Answer by ErinWells at 7:34 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I'm fairly careful when on the internet. My son is only allowed on his approved sites and he's never totally alone when on the net. You can see in my profile pic that I chose a pic of my kids and you can't see their faces. I only allow people I know to see them for real. You just have to be careful, but if you are uncomfortable with anything then don't go along with it.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 7:49 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• dont leave cm!!! this is a great site...... u do have to be careful however the internet is scary and there are a lot of wacked ppl out there.... i had a guy a couple weeks ago iming me... i told him to leave me alone and right before i went to block him he was like " wanna know a secret" " i am a hacker"

so of course i didnt believe him.. till he was like " i have ur pics".......still didnt believe him... i had took some sexy pics for my hubby who is overseas.... this guy then began to send me my own pics back to me... i was soooo freaked out.... so just becareful what u put on in the internet and even your computer.. people can get into it a lot easier then u think.....
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 10:17 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Hi filipina99,

Security and privacy are important, and we believe CafeMom gives some of the best and most comprehensive tools to protect your security.

Here is a link to our CafeMom Security and Privacy Tips. We hope that this information helps answer your questions:

http://www.cafemom.com/about/privacy_tips.php

Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

^The CafeMom Admin Team
    CafeMom Admin

Answer by CafeMom Admin at 11:20 AM on Nov. 2, 2008