DO CELEBS HAVE TO BRAG ABOUT WHAT THEY DO FOR OTHERS?

I always thought a philanthropist was someone who did things for others, quietly. Today, those who can, seem to want everyone to know what they can do which is way off the mark of what any "normal" person can do for others. I understand having your name be used for business sake but to throw out that this is what you can do for others because it's no financial loss for you to do so, to me, is tacky. What a great tax write-off.

ladylovemm

Asked by ladylovemm at 3:50 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Entertainment

• I agree, it's tacky. However, while there are a lot of celebs who do this, there are also a lot who do things that you never hear about. They aren't all like that.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 3:52 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Yes it's called free publicity.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:52 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I agree with ILOVEMYPAULIE
    MzGeorgiaPeach

Answer by MzGeorgiaPeach at 3:55 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Yea, very tacky... I always think.. wow, did you just do it to SAY that you did... the ones who want to help just to help don't say a word about it...unless they are trying to gain sight on the issue and get more help...
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 3:57 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Yes it is tacky and if it is meant to be true charity and not publicating their "good deads" then they will allow their actions to speak for themselves. Normal people do this as well BTW.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 4:06 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• this is my biggest pet peeve. they are fake. they donate what are pennies to them and then go on a talk show and tell everyone what they donated. they do it to boost their career. Frank Sinatra was a true philanthropist. he was more than charitable to people in need but no one knew he was until after he died because he did it for the people, not his career
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 4:37 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Many celebs support charity and philanthropy quietly, but because they do, no one knows about their efforts.

I've been to fan conventions where I've watched celebs host auctions, draw pictures, sign t-shirts or offer their time to raise money for various efforts, ranging from the Elizabeth Glazer Pediatric AIDS Foundation to A Dog's Life Rescue. One actor ran almost 50 miles in a single day to raise money for his non-profit. His run will generate over $90K to fund philanthropic efforts in at least 3 countries - and the only communication about it was on his (and the non-profits) Twitter accounts. He posted pics and video along his route to verify he was actually running where he claimed to be. In interviews, he said he did it because someone had helped HIS family when they had needed it.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 4:57 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Well, that's true.. But when a celeb does charity and they let us know, we think like that. When we don't hear about someone being involved in charity we're like "he/she makes so much money, why doesn't he/she do some charity?"

It's a lose lose for them!
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 4:57 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• In a way I like to see that celebs help out but they flaunt too well sometimes

noahsmommy12908

Answer by noahsmommy12908 at 6:20 PM on Sep. 8, 2010