Is it not normal to constantly worry that your breastfed baby isn't getting enough to eat?

I choose to breastfeed both of mychildren, but sometimes is isn't worth the stress. My 3 month old currently needs to eat every 3 hours. she could go longer without eating when she was younger. She is also getting up at 3 am to eat when she used to sleep until 5 or 6. I know about growth spurts and realize this could be what is going on. It just drives me crazy that i don't know how much she is getting. With my first child i was concerned about my milk supply and was put on reglan to increase my supply. I hated it! It made me tired and depressed. I am currently taking Fenugreek and Mothers milk to try to keep my supply up. Does anyone know if these really work? My baby is gaining weight, i just get so tired of worrying about how much she eats. And my husband gets tired of hearing about it!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:53 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's normal. I always worried about it but my son turned out just fine. Maybe she's going through a growth spurt
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:55 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I was worrying until I just started counting diapers. As long as she got what was needed, I quit worrying about my supply.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:55 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• if your baby is gaining weight then there is nothing to worry about... feeding on demand is... well... demanding... but its worth the hard work!
    Keep it up and don't stress :) breathe mama breathe!
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 3:56 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I think it is totally normal to worry that you baby is not getting enough milk. I never tried anything to make me produce more milk so I can not tell if you they work. I will tell you that your baby is probably getting enough milk. If she is growing and gaining weight and doing all the things she should be doing at this age then more than likely she is okay.

She might be drinking more because she is growing and getting bigger. The older she gets the more she will need to grow and get strong. If you are really concerned then I would talk to the doctor the next time she goes.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 3:58 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• A thought...rather than spend money on the supplements, how about buying a baby scale that way you can weigh before and after to see how much baby has went up.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:58 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I wouldn't worry to much... if she was hungry, she'd let you know!! Have you tried pumping in your "off time"... to stimulate the milk production... it's all supply and demand (as I am sure you know) if your worried there is not enough there, make some!! :)

Yay for beastfeeding!! I know it's hard and stressful but don't give up!! You are giving your baby the best thing possible right now!! :):)
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 4:00 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• If she is wetting at least 6 diapers and increases her weight at every doctor visit....then there is absolutely no need to worry.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:02 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• i'm just really rational and say if the baby is gaining weight and making enough wet diapers then they must be getting enough. stress will also decrease your milk, so keep that in mind
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 4:03 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I didn't really worry after the first couple of weeks. She pees like a champ so I knew she was getting enough. Besides my body was able to grow, protect, and nourish her for nine months, why should I think it's going to crap out on me once she is born?
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 4:33 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Stop worrying. What goes in must come out right? So if she's having 6-8 wet diapers a day she's getting plenty! You can't apply formula feeding practices to breastfeeding...it causes needless worry.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:57 PM on Sep. 8, 2010