Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who would you talk to if you thought you were going into depression?

Your own doctor or a psycologist?

Answer Question

Asked by noahsmommy12908 at 4:16 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Health

Level 19 (6,645 Credits)
Answers (10)
  • For insurance reason I have to go to my doctor first then he refers me out "if" he can't help me

    Answer by bmwlover at 4:17 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

  • Maybe a doctor, then they can refer you to a psychologist.

    Answer by Chell.o_0 at 4:18 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

  • doctor

    Answer by MzGeorgiaPeach at 4:21 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

  • My Doctor

    Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 4:22 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

  • Dr. first to get a referral for insurance purposes...
    although, I have some close friends that I would probably talk to before I saw a professional if i'm being totally honest :)
    they'd probably have to talk me into seeing a professional because I'm just like that :P not saying its a good thing... just how I am I guess

    Answer by elizabiza at 4:25 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

  • I talk to several friends. Some have known me a long time so they can spot long-term differences in my behavior, thinking and life. Some see me often currently. And one has a Masters in Psychology, so he reminds me that I'm not crazy and I *am* entitled to whatever feelings I feel. (As well as tells me funny stories about the rats they run through mazes to make me laugh.)

    I've been to therapy before as a teen, and because of the poor professionalism of the person I saw, I have little trust in people who are paid to be concerned for my emotional wellbeing.

    Answer by geminilove at 4:29 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

  • I have depression and social anxeity - email me if you want to talk or help through this process as it can be even rougher *hugs*

    Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:36 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

  • my doctor

    Answer by elizabr at 5:37 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

  • I'd go to a psychologist. Your doctor can only do so much. I talked with my doctor initially because the only appointment I could get with this psychologist was a 2 month wait.  She put me on a medication that I should not have been on because I have a history of seizures. Nothing happened but the new doctor was not happy.


    Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:35 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

  • Depending on your insurance, you can self refer to a behavorial health specialist or you have to see your family practitioner who will refer you to one. I see a psychologist, but she contacts my primary care manager with medication recommendations since psychologists don't prescribe meds.

    Answer by Izsarejman at 10:01 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.