How can I become a WAHM?

I would like to be a WAHM. We need a second income, even if it's only $500-1000/month. I'm currently working part-time, but paying more for a sitter than I'm bringing in.

Does anyone have any suggestions on things I could do from home for extra money? I am not willing to invest my own money in anything, but need to find something.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Asked by jthimes at 10:46 PM on Jun. 30, 2008 in Money & Work

• You may have a hard time finding a way to work from home without any type of investment. Most legitimate work from home opportunities have some kind of start up fee. It doesn't have to be a large investment though. I am an Arbonne consultant and it cost's $29 to start. Whatever you do make sure you do your research and I recommend you check out any opportunity with the Direct Sales Association which has strict regulations for its members. I definitely recommend posting here to see if anyone has had experiences with any company you may consider. Another good resource to look at is they have information and advice on work at home positions.

Answer by rasbneon at 11:01 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• 1. Dishnetwork

2.Revolution money exchange

3.Cashlagoon, all you have to do is complete offers and you get paid for completing them it is absolutely free if you want to make more you can do offers where all you have to do is pay shipping which is only $2-$3 in return you get $7-$10.but it is up to you. The great thing is you can get paid within 24hrs as long as you have atleast $2 in your account for paypal or $5 for a check.

Answer by jaydi06 at 3:06 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• If you don't want to spend any money, have you considered watching someone else's child on the days you don't currently work? Or finding someone else who also works part-time and is willing to trade baby-sitting hours. When I was looking for a nanny on craigslist I saw a few people looking for reciprocal arrangements.
    I agree that you are going to find it hard to find a Work At Home business opportunity that doesn't cost anything.
    You could take a look at some of the 'get paid to'(GPT) sites. There are a few reviews here for people who have done well with them, I think it takes a while to make good money.
    I am an Ameriplan Independant Business Owner. For the month of July it is just $20 to start your own business, it is normally $95. There are a lot of moms on here that are part of Ameriplan. Feel free to take a look at my site to find out more.

Answer by AussieMum2 at 3:06 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• Hi, My Name is Kelly and I know exactly how you feel. I am a single mom and work fulltime and pretty much live paycheck to paycheck. I have been looking for something also to make extra money. I found it and have been doing it for a few months now. Let me know if you are interested and I can give you more info ok. That way I dont have to write so much. Talk to you soon Kelly:)

Answer by Kellym1776 at 9:42 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• IF you want steady income I recommend finding a WAH job. You are traditionally employed but work from home. Usually these are data entry or telemarketing type jobs. You can start a WAH business up with little cost. It will take some time to get established but you can bring in some extra cash. I do home parties for a candle company and affiliate work with a couple bath & beauty type sites. Check out the links on my cafemom page if your curious. Email me if you have any questions!

Answer by SensualScents at 9:55 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• I'm not sure what you are into, but there are a lot of things like Tupperware, Avon, Partylite, Pampered Chef, that while you'd have to do parties, it's still pretty much like a WAHM.

Answer by KeelinsMommy at 10:16 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• I am a ChaCha guide. ChaCha is a search engine like google but humans actaully search for you. The IS NO start up fee or anything like that. It is a real job and you do have to apply and take a test in order to be a guide. You set your own hours, and make as much as you need to. you get paid 20 cents a search, and the average search takes 2 minutes. Here is the link, you can check chacha out on your own.
    If you decide to apply you can use my email as the referral if you like

If you like writing, another option is writing articles for it's free.

Answer by Jessnpat2 at 10:30 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• Hello, I know of a great home business opportunity that actually is having a promotion going on right now. If your interested check out my latest journal. Anyway, I hope to be working with you but if you choose not to, good luck with your search and god bless!

Answer by businesswife1 at 11:23 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• I would suggest you do a search at under the telecommuting tab. You may still find that an investment is required.  Or you can start your own home business, and you can find information for this on , and many many others as I am sure you already know this. Also read other peoples blogs about their work at home opportunities and search the different groups on both cafemom and other parenting sites. There really is so much out there that you can do, but in the end it all is going to require some type of investment whether it be $5.00 or $500.00. Even the jobs will require investments even though you do not know that in the beginning.  Where it gets you is you are considered an independent contractor on most of them and you still have to pay for your phones and things. I found this out the hard way myself :( I finally just started my own home biz. You can read my blog at or email me at .

Answer by AmeriplanMom at 1:26 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• Good luck in your search, and do not give up. There is a way to work from home, and I am living proof of that. You may not be making millions like you see some people saying , but you will be able to pay the bills and afford some extras (vacations, dinner out, new clothes etc..) Don't give up but do keep your eyes open and think about things before you jump into them. Never ever let anyone presure you into joining them in what they do before you think about it. It is best to sleep on it before you make the decission on what to go with :)

Answer by AmeriplanMom at 1:28 PM on Jul. 1, 2008