What is your opinion about telling your kids there is a Santa Claus if you also believe lying is wrong?

I am just curious. I have all my kids believe there is a Santa even though it does bother me. I also have friends that will not lie to their kids and will not tell them there is a Santa.

AmyLynn5398

Asked by AmyLynn5398 at 4:26 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm approaching Santa like I do dragons and fairies with my 2yo. Wonderful magical beings who can do amazing things. We tell her all about Santa and his reindeer and such because it is a great story that adds to much of the nostalgia of Christmastime.

What I won't be doing when she's a few years older is insisting he's real. We'll still cover the story and take pictures on his lap, but once she starts questioning his validity, we're not going to lie about it. We'll just encourage her to enjoy the magic of Santa because it's fun.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:43 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I see it as believing in the magic of Christmas and I will not steal that from my child whether it's true or not.

I can guarentee you that believing in Santa and all the magic that comes with it will bring my children more happiness than anger over being "lied" to.

I was NEVER angry over it and I don't know anyone who was. OF COURSE your going to have someone answer this post saying "I was so upset when I found out and I will never lie to my children, blah blah blah" but I think you will also find that those people are in the MINORITY!

That being said I don't care what another person tells their child as far as Santa is concerned but I also don't care what anyone has to say about what I tell my. This is a SANTA believing household and I'm NOT ashamed!!! :)
    katelingerum88

Answer by katelingerum88 at 4:31 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I don't see it as telling them a lie. I see it as make believe, and fun. My oldest knows there isn't a Santa, but he has fun helping me make it fun with our 2 younger ones... It's all in what you make of it. Yes I believe in being real with your kids, but they are only little once, and it's fun to believe in things like Santa..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 4:29 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I think that lying is ok sometimes ... I always wonder about the parents who say they will never lie to their kids, there are times when you need to tell little lies to your kids ( like once my daughter made me a "sculpture" out of brown playdoh that looked like a pile of poop... but I told her it was the most beautiful thing in the world ) ...... My kids believe in santa, I make foot prints in the snow, and I leave a half eatin cookie that santa just couldnt finish......
    AmericanaQueen

Answer by AmericanaQueen at 4:30 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I think you have to do whatever is best for you. I let my children believe what they wanted and I tell them I still believe because to me Christmas is more then Santa and getting gifts. I only told my children when thye got older and started asking the questions about Santa being real.

I told them that while he is not a real person the spirit of Christmas is very real.

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 4:31 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I won't tell my DD there is a Santa because I remember how disappointed I was when I found out he wasn't real, and then came the distrust in my parents because they had lied to me all those years. (I found out Christmas Day when I was 8 and it hit me pretty hard!) If my DD wants to believe in Santa, that's fine, I won't go out of my way to tell her he doesn't exist, just like I wouldn't go out of my way to tell her that the Yo Gabba Gabba characters are just people in suits.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 4:29 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Santa isn't just something parents tell kids to be mean to them....Santa makes kids think about the "magic of Christmas"...i never believed in Santa myself, but i kinda wish my parents had kept the secret lol. would've made Christmas more fun.
    DereksBabyMomma

Answer by DereksBabyMomma at 4:31 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Also, I wanted to add....... I believed in santa, my parents made sure me and my brother believed in Santa for as long as we could ( they even hired a santa to come in the middle of the night, and woke up up so we could watch from the staircase ) ..... I never once had " distrust" in my parents for making me believe in santa.... I am thankful I had a great childhood
    AmericanaQueen

Answer by AmericanaQueen at 4:32 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• mine**
    katelingerum88

Answer by katelingerum88 at 4:32 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Oh boo... Believing in Santa is awesome as a kid!! My three year old already loves him haha... nothing wrong in a little imaginative play...

Yes he might be a little sad to find out he is not real, but it's not like the presents are going to disappear so I don't see any real harm in it... Also a good oportunity to teach him, you can't believe everything someone tells you...lol lol
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 4:37 PM on Sep. 8, 2010