What do you want? (child care)

So I’m going to open up an in home child care place. My house is big and all the bedrooms & office are upstairs. Downstairs is a big playroom, kitchen, big living room and bathroom. My house has no pets, no one who smokes, and we eat organic and use all natural chemicals... Okay with this said as a mother what do you want/want to see or not see in a day care? We also have a 1/2 acre of fenced in land. Swing set, bikes ECT.... I want to make a flyer to put up. I only want 3 children I have my own two. What should I say on it? Meals will be provided by me. Oh and im only taking kids that are 3 months - 5 years. Please help. Thanks ladies

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:34 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• Maybe you should make the flyer say something about an open house type of event for the daycare, so that parents who are looking to put their kids in daycare, can come see for themselves, how nice of a facility their children would be in.
    DereksBabyMomma

Answer by DereksBabyMomma at 4:39 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I want to see a set schedule for daily activities including set meal and nap times. I want to know that there is some kind of a lesson each day. Not like work books and all but you know sit at the table and color while talking about something. Whether it be trees, the letter A farms... even if it's just 20 min. I want to know that the provider is certified in first aid and cpr. I want to know that they will be outside every day, weather providing. I want to know that their will not be so many children in the home that mine is not getting the extra attention I would expect form a home daycare vs. a big box daycare. I pulled my child from a home that had my 2 year old, a 3 year old and 3 babies. They never went outside because of the babies...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:39 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• If I was leaving my kids in an inhome daycare. I would want the provider to show that they have taken CPR....and maybe also a background check passed.

If you could say those things it would look good on a flier....also any child care classes you could take....like at a local college would be wonderful! Very impressive!

I would most defiantly have an open house for any who call.....who are interested.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:40 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• well since i used to work at a daycare, i know what i don't want....alot of the "staff" were really rude and didn't watch the children properly.
    idk what kind of meals you plan on fixing but i'd put on the flyer that meals are provided but that you want to know what the child likes, for older kids about 2 and up, help learning the alphabet and numbers, teaching colors to younger kids, 100% supervision, change diapers when needed, not on a schedule...and don't scream at the kids or cover their heads with blankets if they don't want to take a nap (daycare did that) gl
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 4:41 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I wanted to add that an individual can't, at least in my state, get a background check on someone. They have to provide it. It is 35 dollars here. Having that on file for your self and any other people residing in the home over 18 for review would be nice to see.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:43 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I do daycare and like some of the idea mentioned. The idea of an open house is interesting but I wouldn't do it while the day care were in session. Unfortunately that opens you up to strangers putting children you are entrusted with in danger. I would say parents are welcome to come check the place out with an appt. and explain why. You should have current first aid and CPR certificates and be able to show a recent clean criminal record check upon request. Some parents will ask you about liability insurance so you need to see what your coverage is for.

bookworm23

Answer by bookworm23 at 4:48 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I want you licensed. To be NAEYC accredited would be a huge plus for me as well. I am just one who will not trust my children with one who is not licensed by the state, and has a degree in ECEC.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:16 PM on Sep. 8, 2010