How do you make a 6 week olds bowl movements less painful?

Every night from the day my baby was born my baby has had a LOT of pain with her bowl movements. Once she starts to poop the pain stops and her crying stops. I just really truly want to find a way to make her pain stop once and for all forever.

She's too sweet and tiny to hurt like she does.

Khuerta

Asked by Khuerta at 4:36 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Is she formula fed? It could be that you need to change formula types.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:37 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• If you are breastfeeding try eating bran muffins.

Little babies don't have mature digestive systems, it could go on for another month or two
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 4:39 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• are they hard? it could be colic in which case its built up gas that is causing her pain. if the poop isn't hard then i think it's colic and get her some gripe water. if it is hard then change formula
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 4:40 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• are you breast feeding?
    try eliminating dairy from your diet.
    are you supplementing with iron? try to stop (discuss this with ped first)
    have you tried changing formulas? they make a sensitive formula, or you could also try soy.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:40 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• My daughter had problems with too much iron and had similar problems. I switched her to low iron formula and she was great. :-) . Check with your pediatricians nurse. They might have some helpful advice. Hugs !! :-)
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 4:48 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Let me elaborate a little more... might help those trying to help? :)

I breast feed only. I don't touch iron supplements because the baby does not need any iron. She's 6 weeks old now (not sure if I said that or not) so I'm completely terrified of giving her too many vitamins she doesn't need. I don't give her formula at all mainly becuase she won't take it. She can't stand bottles for some reason. I've tried switching the type of bottle and nipple to several different shapes and types but nothing doing. I'm insulting her to even offer her a bottle.

Her stools are at the moment diarrhea in form. I've got an appointment tomorrow morning with the pediatrician to discuss the diarrhea issue but thus far I'm getting the same nonsense story from the doctors: the baby isn't in pain, she's concentrating.

I know that if she could poop without all the bloating and gas in the tummy, she wouldn't cry. She's a happy baby...
    Khuerta

Comment by Khuerta (original poster) at 4:49 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Is the stool soft?
    Then read this, perhaps this is the issue: http://www.medschool.lsuhsc.edu/pediatrics/docs/infant%20dyschezia.pdf - Infant dyschezia
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:53 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I posted before I saw your re-post.

How does she do if you hold her in the potty position (the way elimination communication babies are held to go potty) over a recepticle? Does that help?
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:55 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I would suggest cutting down on the dairy in your diet and uping the amount of fiber you take in. Those two things should help her. Also, if you try to massage her Tummy a few times a day it will help.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 4:58 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I bounce her (gently on my knee), rock her, pat her back, pat her tummy, set her on my knee so she can straddle it, I place her back to my tummy placing one arm under her bum for support and the other hand on her tummy giving a slight pressure for her (helps her the most but naturally doesn't resolve the problem), I stand her up, sit her down, and even went to an old mexican trick i was shown the other night.

That trick is to mix lard and flour into a thick paste and rub it on her tummy for a few minutes, turn her over and rub her back. you rub with quite a bit of pressure or so i gather and then finally you pinch the skin, not the baby, and pull it upwards until you hear a "pop" in four spots going from the shoulders to the but. The "pop" is supposed to be that baby pooping. That only helped her fart the smallest of farts... no real relief...

I'm at a loss here...
    Khuerta

Comment by Khuerta (original poster) at 5:01 PM on Sep. 8, 2010