Babies Encyclopedia: How can I get my infant to stop growling at every new person she meets?

CafeMom Team will be posting Baby Encyclopedia questions in the Babies Category from Tuesday till Friday of this week. For every question you answer, you'll be entered to win one of the $25 Gap Gift Cards that we're giving away each day!

But there's a catch... only "real" answers will be entered to win the $25 Gap Gift Card. If you do not have tested advice or an informed opinion on the topic, please wait to answer the next question. There will be plenty of opportunities to enter the contest.

We are using these questions to create a mom-tested resource for new and expecting parents, so try to use proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling when writing your answers.

Read Official Rules.

CafeMom Team

Asked by CafeMom Team at 4:38 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Growling? You sure you're not taking care of a bichon frise?
    arouthier

Answer by arouthier at 4:39 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I wouldnt care if mine did it, I find it very cute. Most babies do it and they will grow out of it eventually.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:40 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• They may be growling because they aren't familiar with that person. Infants usually have good instincts. Making a reaction to a stranger is something that I wouldn't discourage.
    Once they get to know that person, the reaction should stop.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:40 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• my son does a growl like thing when he wants attention, maybe that's why your baby does it
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 4:44 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I honestly don't believe I've ever heard my son growl.... My dogs, yes, but my KID???
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 4:46 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• i have 5 kids, and have not had a growler yet! my baby now will cough at me. it is like she doesn't have her voice yet so she will make whatever sound she can!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:48 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• My baby growls at me if I growl at him first. But he has not growled at another person that I know of yet, lol. If he did I would just laugh about it.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 4:55 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• could it not be a growl but a gurgling. . . sometimes babies will make a gurgling sound. I don't think infants and babies growl like that . . . maybe when they go through a phase or something but that is at an older age. . . *really growling?*
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 4:56 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• stop laughing when he does it...or if you aren't laughing then don't pay any attention to it at all....that is the problem, you are giving it too much attention. TRUST ME. I have a 3 year old.
    SecretSuzy

Answer by SecretSuzy at 5:02 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Encourage other behavior, if you growl before having to go to the in-laws, they are going to pick up that behavior. Also try to keep animal influences away from the baby. (If your dog growls when someone new comes to the door, baby is going to pick that up). Instead try to keep calm and happy, and baby should sense this and react in a similar manner. If it's due to copying an animal try to be sure to distract the animal before company comes so they don't growl at the door.

Sometimes you may even have to act overly bubbly at seeing someone (even if you aren't happy about seeing them yourself).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:40 AM on Sep. 9, 2010