Did I wait too long? adult content

I read an article yesterday about waiting too long to give a baby a bottle resulting in her not wanting any bottle or pacifier ever. I have been battling thrush with my 6 week old for the past four weeks now and can't get rid of it. I also have neat little cuts on both my nipples from the baby using me as her pacifier all the time. I can't seem to get the cuts to go away. I know the baby latches on properly but she doesn't let go!!!

I try to break the seal but goofy girl bites down right as I pull away from her. Also she has developed a NASTY habit of biting down as hard as she can before arching her tiny little back and pulling as hard as she can away from me to the point I'm afraid she may actually succeed at removing the nipple all together. I need help.

Doctors don't seem to have advice to resolve either issue. Perhaps a "seasoned mother" may have the answers for me?

Khuerta

Asked by Khuerta at 4:43 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It could be that you are passing the yeast infection back and forth. Get some Lamisil AF and put on your nipples (wipe before nursing) and keep her on the meds.

As for the biting down, put your finger into the corner of her mouth to break the seal and ease it between her gums to keep her from clamping down. This should help with the cuts and soreness.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:47 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• If she's arching her back, maybe she's in pain? That's the only advice I can give you, my DD was on a bottle from week one (my milk never came in) and we had to switch her to a soy formula at one month old because she couldn't handle the lactose...good luck!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 4:47 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• they have stuff you can get from wal mart to put on your nipples i forgot the name of it
    Runt420

Answer by Runt420 at 4:47 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Oh the second part of the question...it's not too late to give a bottle. She just may not take it from you since she knows that you are the source of milk and a bottle will not be what she wants from you.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:48 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Join the Breastfeeding Moms Group at cafemom. There are many seasoned breastfeeders there and the answers section doesn't leave enough space to really answer your question thoroughly especially with your thrush issue.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:49 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• lol, my kids were like that too. I used lanolin ointment to heal the cracks in my nipples & make them more "elastic". eventually, i lost most sensitivity from all the chomping. anyway, its not too late to offer your baby the bottle. she won't like it, but she'll take it eventually. just expect a fight! it takes lots of time & patience to train a primarily breastfed baby to take a bottle, but it's possible. good luck mama!
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 4:50 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• You need to be treated for the yeast infection too! If you aren't then you will continue to pass it back and forth.

My darling son had a habit of chomping down when he farted, I push his face directly into my chest so that he will let go. It took a few days but he got the message, a chomp = letting go of the milk. It works for teething babies too.
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 4:55 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• the thrush.....gintian violet, paint babies mouth and your nipples at the same time. again in one week. this should get rid of it completly! i know purple nipples are pretty funny but i swear it works!

if shes not hungry dont breast feed. if she just wants something to chew on offer her a chew toy. im sure you know her feeding schedule enough to know when she is actually hungry and when she just wants a binky.

if you really want to wean, you can start that process too. just take away one feeding per week givinga cup or bottle in its place and soon you will be all done.
    good luck!
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 5:00 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I dont really want to put her on formula at all. I'd love to get her to actually consume the milk I'm expressing... However she won't take the bottles from me especially, but she wont take them from anyone else either. Even "daddy" can't get her to take the bottles. Of course he doesn't support bottle feeding anyway even if it IS my milk inside.

I have to go back to work sooner than later and that's not a possibility if I can't get the baby to take a bottle. she can't go without eating for 8 hours or longer... i have bills to pay and boyfriend can't pay my bills on top of his too.

i try to take the boobs away once she chomps them too hard but she doesn't get it. even when i take them away when she bites and pulls... she just screams without end until i give them back... i played that game for five hours a couple of times in fact. she decides she has to bite the nipple off...
    Khuerta

Comment by Khuerta (original poster) at 5:05 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• 6 weeks is not too early to get her to take a bottle, and it will be easier if you can get someone to give it to her without you in sight. Arching her back and pulling away from you is typically an indicator of pain, she might be gassy. You can try burping her a little more often. I don't really know what to do about thrush, but one of my friends just went to straight pumping so that they would quit passing it back and forth and they haven't had an issue with it since.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 6:50 PM on Sep. 8, 2010