Would you consider this an example of a candidate lacking transparency? Or no big deal?

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) -- U.S. Rep. John Spratt will debate his Republican challenger Mick Mulvaney on Tuesday, but the only people who will get to see any of it have already bought tickets to the sold out dinner at a South Carolina Lions Club.
Reporters will be allowed, but Spratt's campaign asked for no audio or video recording of the debate between the candidates.
Mulvaney's campaign protested the request when agreeing to the debate, then sent out a news release Monday slamming Spratt saying "in this country, we have open debates."
It's the latest indication that Republicans see a good chance to knock off Spratt, the longest serving congressman in the South Carolina delegation and chairman of the House's budget-writing committee.
~~~~~
If this were your area~Would you question why a candidate would not want an open televised/recorded debate?

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 4:51 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It seems to be completely out of character for a candidate to NOT want a debate to be videotaped. Unless he KNOWS that what he says NOW and what he intends to do LATER are not the same thing... which is the only reason that I can come up with for him to bar certain segments of the media. A quote in print can be spun or mistyped, people's memories can blur, but video is forever.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 5:17 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Pratt didn't want the debate recorded because he didn't want any of his remarks to be taken out of context and used against him like what happened with Shirley Sherrod.

I think that is a cop out completely.
    momtolucas2002

Answer by momtolucas2002 at 5:10 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• So hey, have fun bashing!

Not bashing.  It's just a question.   I don't know why people get so sensitive about stuff on here.  It's an honest curiosity that any candidate wouldn't want video of a debate.  If it were a Republican I would be just as curious.  Politicians are notoriously egotistical and love to hear themselves talk or even just to hear their names.  I would honestly be curious as to why this guy feels differently. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:22 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Not sure why they would want that. Guess he doesn't have much confidence in what he is going to say
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:52 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I would guess that it's harder to spin a comment due to 'being out of context' if the whole answer is laid out for you. I am sure there will be pirated copies of the debate since one won't allow video of it to be taken.

Honestly, I don't know why anyone would exclude video of a debate with their opponent when they are both vying to represent the people. I see that as a red flag.  I would think that both candidates would want as many people to know their views as possible so that the people they wish to represent know who holds similar ideals as they do.  But what do I know?

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:01 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Her career down the drain because of some "creative" Republican spinning. I think considering the extremely hostile environment out there, and the general gullibility of the average Republican voter ("I saw it on Fox News, Glenn Beck said it, it MUST be true"), I don't think it's a cop out at all. by Anouck

Yes, this IS a cop-out! The woman was "fired" BEFORE this crap hit the fan!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 5:20 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• This president won in a fair election. Why not try to work together to get this country back on track, instead of all the back stabbing and undermining?

I don't know that anyone here is debating that Obama won fair and square.  It has nothing to do with the question (as far as I know - I certainly didn't read that into any of the answers, nor the question).  Working together won't work because some of us fundamentally disagree with the method of which our leadership is using to try to 'get this country back on track'.  I personally don't believe that they know what they are doing and that their efforts are just prolonging and deepening the pain that the taxpayers will be saddled with.  JMO.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:50 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I thought it was the party of KNOW, lol. The problem seems to be that the majority won't let them say a word, bring up bills, things like that. Have you heard of the Roadmap for America, written by a pub, I can't think of his name, I think it's Ryan.......anyway, some pubs have really sound ideas, but they cannot get their ideas onto the floor. And then you say that WE (the people) are divided! The division comes from higher up than just us.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 6:05 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

***
    YET, the libs have NO TROUBLE trying to tell us that the words that came out of Obama's mouth during the Town Hall debates and his MANY campaign speeches since, that what we heard, isn;t what we really heard, that he meant to say something else!! LMAO!! That's why I prefer to read the transcripts, instead of watching and listening to the snake oil saleman!! :O)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:58 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Well, it certainly fits in with all the "transparency" we have been seeing with this administration...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 8:08 PM on Sep. 8, 2010