Psycho Kitty???

Our kitten is so psycho. I thought she'd grow out of some of the things she does by now, but she hasn't, and it's starting to make me wonder whether it'll be ok to have her around when our baby (or babies) comes. She darts around the room, chews on electrical cords, eats anything in sight, and digs her claws into everyone and everything. I know that some of the stuff she does is because she never had a mom to show her how to do and not do certain things, but it worries me. (her mom was killed by a pack of dogs when she was just 2 weeks old, and she's 10 weeks old now) I'm only worried because of the baby. Any advice??

DereksBabyMomma

Asked by DereksBabyMomma at 4:56 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would have her de-clawed asap. I know it can be mean and inhumane but you are going to have a baby and need to take care of both the cats health and babies. . . de-clawing is not so bad especially if it is only the front claws. As for the psycho chewing and such there is a stuff called bitters you can put down on things you don't want her to chew on. . . it isn't harmful or anything it just taste horrible and teaches them to stop chewing on things. I dunno if that will work since you said she chews and eats anything. . . but it might be worth a try. GL And remember she is ONLY 10 weeks old and still a baby too. . .
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 5:02 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• we are planning to get her declawed when my DH gets paid next week. i'll have to try that bitters stuff.....thanks!
    DereksBabyMomma

Comment by DereksBabyMomma (original poster) at 5:04 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Declawing IS inhumane and mean... Imagine somebody ripping out your fingernails, it's the same damn thing! This is a 10 week old kitten, they are NATURALLY playful and hyper and all that stuff. She'll calm down once she gets older. Try to wear her out by playing with her, get her toys with catnip in them to bat around, and yes, put bitters on the wires and such, you don't want her to electrocute herself. But for the love of everything holy, don't declaw the poor thing.... That's a horrible thing to do to a cat.

If you can't handle a playful kitten, you shouldn't have gotten her. And if you don't think you can handle the cat and a baby, find a new home for the cat. But don't punish the cat by basically mutilating her.

And yes, I have 7 (SEVEN) indoor cats and a 2 year old, so I know what I'm talking about.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:09 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Aww your kitty is toddlerhood right now. She will more than likely out grow a lot of her kitten ways but the bitters are a good idea for chewing. We have always had a kitty in the house and they never clawed the babies or hurt them in any way. If you get her declawed make sure she is not an outdoor kitty at all, she can't protect herself outside if she has no front claws.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 5:10 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I can not stress to you enough get a FELIWAY pharamone plug in you can get them at petsmart, petco, or local vet, online at www.petedge.com, 1-800-petmeds, THEY WORK WONDERS totally odorless to us, safe to breath it just has a pharemon to mellow out your kitty or dog, my dog had SEVERE SEPERATION ISSUES when i got her. It really helps mellow a kitty out. Also have her spayed that will mellow her out. Plus just try keeping an eye on your kitty dont allow her in the babies room, or up on the counter tops you can boundry train a cat i did with all my cats. the lived like dogs lol they were only allowed on the couches, not the table or entertainment center. Some kittys are just like kids a handful and 10 weeks is not that old. Sometimes cats don't mellow untill the age of 3. I am sure she will mellow out. Good luck
    mamalana30

Answer by mamalana30 at 5:10 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• it's only inhumane if they're indoor/outdoor cats....or just outdoor cats. she's only indoor.
    DereksBabyMomma

Comment by DereksBabyMomma (original poster) at 5:10 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I never had any kitty declawed and they are and were great companions for our family. You should see our pixie bob kitty....she is a lot of fun to play with.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 5:12 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• i really do love Artemis (our kitty) she's just weird lol it's like she's constantly high.
    DereksBabyMomma

Comment by DereksBabyMomma (original poster) at 5:14 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• No, it's inhumane, period. If you are worried about the scratching, you can have caps to put on the nails, or just make sure to trim them regularly. It has nothing to do with a cat going outdoors or not. Yes, a declawed cat is helpless outdoors, so that's even MORE inhumane, but that doesn't mean ripping out their nails is a good thing to do. EVER.

The kitten is 10 weeks old. I'm assuming she hasn't even been spayed yet. To believe that this is going to be her character for the rest of her life is just ludicrous. Have you seen toddlers running around, acting like savages? Do you believe they will always stay like that? And do you think you should cut off their hands, so they can't grab stuff and break it?

I urge you to look at this website... http://declawing.com/
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:20 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• look, this isn't the time or place for an animal rights debate. you and i disagree so let's just be grown ups and agree to disagree.
    DereksBabyMomma

Comment by DereksBabyMomma (original poster) at 5:47 PM on Sep. 8, 2010