How much do you pay an hourly babysitter?

I have a 3.5 yr old boy and a 9 month old baby. They are both very easy to take care of and I'm needing to go back to work 1-2 days a week. I found someone to watch the both of them, just have no idea what to pay! Thanks for any input!

LuccasMommy

Asked by LuccasMommy at 5:08 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• I've always went by a flat rate. When I have someone watch both of my children I pay $40 a day. That's just to go out or for when I used to work a few days a week. When I was a nanny I got paid a flat rate per week too. I was paid $20 a day for five days of pay. Plus an extra $40 a month for food.

You have to think about what the persons hours will be, what they will have to do, if it's at your house, add that up per week, and then per month. What you can seem to be a small number will add up fast. So at $20 a day, for one child, for fives days a week. That's $200 a month.

elly25

Answer by elly25 at 5:13 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Hourly sitters here are a$5.50-$8.00 an hour. This usually for non routine sitting. It depends a lot on where you live. Around here daycare kind of sitting averages about $25 bucks a day
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:14 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Sorry $400 a month. Not $200
    elly25

Answer by elly25 at 5:14 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I would give her a weekly rate... around here the rate is about 75.00 first child and 50.00 second. But talk to her... if you claim it on your taxes she will charge you more than if you don't. I would ask her some questions.
    kamore

Answer by kamore at 5:15 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• $5 an hour
    3boysandmekmcd

Answer by 3boysandmekmcd at 5:16 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Look at www.care.com and you can see what people charge by the hour in your area. Search by zipcode.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:18 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• For something like that, I would charge a flat rate.

I do in-home daycare and I would charge $100 per week for the 3 year old and $120 per week for the baby. I'm in Oklahoma, so where you are may be different and I have heard, from several people, that my rates are inexpensive.
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 5:21 PM on Sep. 8, 2010