Getting teased at school because of homosexual parents- help!

My partner and I have a 6-year-old daughter who gets teased all the time because she has 2 moms. Kids say stuff like "Lisa's moms are crazy lesbians" "Lisa's moms this, Lisa's moms that" "Lisa's moms are gay" "Lisa doesn't have a dad" and stuff like that which really hurt our daughter.
Now, there are 23 children in her class and there is (thank God for him), only one boy who doesn't make fun of Lisa. Fortunately, his mom explained to our situation to him without making fun of us herself, like the rest of the parents do (I am sure they do because kids say some stuff they could only have learnt from adults).

How would you handle this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:19 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• this breaks my heart, I hope to raise my son like that little boy who isn't teasing her - kids are so mean.. ugh.. I think you just need to be open and honest with her, and unfortunately, she probably will have to deal with this for a while but it will teach her to be strong and stand up for who you are, but it must be SO hard as parents to have this happen.. I have no advice but sending *hugs*
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:30 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I'd talk to the teacher about it, if 22 kids are all making fun of her the teacher MUST know it's happening. She needs to talk to the class and the parents and let them know that it's not OK and ill not be tolerated, and if she won't then you need to go to the principal.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 5:26 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• This is probably something your daughter will have to deal with throughout her life. The best thing I can think of that you can do is to prepare her and educate her that everyone has different views on everything, but that you and your spouse love each other and love her very much and that's what makes a family and is all that matters.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 5:28 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I don't think I would worry with the other parents. Some people are just ignorant. I would start with your daughter and tell her that there are all sorts of different people in the world. None of us are better than anyone else, and none of those kids are better than her just because they have daddies. Tell her that you and your partner love her unconditionally and that you are together because you love each other.
    CrnchyMamaCraig

Answer by CrnchyMamaCraig at 5:28 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I'm so sorry those kids (with the one exception) are such little creeps about it.... But at that age, unfortunately they just parrot whatever they hear from their parents. Sorry state of affairs, isn't it? I'd hoped in this day and age, we would have achieved a little more enlightenment and tolerance.

Anyway, I would probably talk to the teacher too. Basically, what those kids are doing is bullying, and the school should have a policy against that.

Again, I'm so sorry...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:35 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• That is so aweful! Too bad your DD doesn't go to my DD's school. We have LOTS of homosexual parents at our shcool. It is nothing unusual at all & everyone excepts it & no one ever gets made fun of. Very normal where we come from.

I would have a talk with the teacher & maybe even the principal. If kids are saying these things, they are obviously learning it from their parents. You need to tell the teacher of every circumstance. It is quite possible that the kids who are teasing will have their parents called. I think the parents of these children need to know that they are being aweful to your DD. I would pitch a fit if i were you.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 5:46 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• The children are repeating what they've been told, what they've heard. Talk to your daughter about acceptance and tolerance - and let her know that not everyone is like like that. She'll need to deal with this for many years, so helping her learn to cope is very important.
    yoliplus6

Answer by yoliplus6 at 6:25 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Thats so sad :( Sorry you guys & your dd has to deal with this!
    You could contact the teacher & see what she can do about it.
    You could teach your daughter some come-backs that are not hateful.. What they are doing sounds like bullying. so see what your child can do to "combat" bullying..
    And I cant help but think about how many kids only have 1 parent. or a split up home. so they shouldnt be talking much!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 7:14 PM on Sep. 8, 2010