if you have a kid and a dog how do you get the dog to stop getting the babys toys?

we have a dog that my husband wanted and she gets my babys toys all the time and now I have to go buy more toys for my kid and the dog has her own toys she just wants the baby toys. So what would you do? I want to find a new home for the dog but my husband wants to keep her.

stormey_wagner

Asked by stormey_wagner at 5:23 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Pets

• Don't leave the toys lying around.... That's pretty much all you can do. When you think about it, dog toys and baby toys are pretty similar in a lot of ways, so if a dog sees a baby toy on the ground, it's not going to know it's not a dog toy...

One thing that keeps my dogs occupied for HOURS is a Kong Ball. You can stuff it with treats, and they have to work to get the treats out of there. Worth a shot.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:25 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Get the dog a good bone, and don't leave the baby toys lay around. Ours never chew on anything that belongs to our boys. You have to train them not to. We have a section by the door for shoes and our dogs have never touched them. Having a pet is a huge responsibility, you can't just give up on the pet just because you don't want to take the time to train/care for it... It's not fair to the animal, at least in my opinion....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 5:36 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I have the opposite problem. The dog leaves the baby toys alone. I wish I could say about the baby leaving the dog toys alone.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:39 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Pick them up and don't leave them out all over the place. Plus...just because the dog picks them up doesn't mean you have to buy new ones. Just clean it.

My dog could care less about D's toys. He's more interested in my socks. D is all about Groo's dog cookies with icing. Lol.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 6:01 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I dont leave the babys toy laying around I but them up and when Heaven is playing with them the dog takes them so yeah. I have been trying to work with the dog but you can tell her no and tap her on the but and she will still do so. I may try that ball that has the treat in it that you guys where talking about and maybe that will work.
    stormey_wagner

Comment by stormey_wagner (original poster) at 11:13 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• You need to put forth quite a bit of effort to train your dog. My dog tries to take our DD's toys occasionally, but we've taught him the "leave it" command. If he gets a hold of one of her toys, we just tell him to leave it and he drops it and walks off.

Here's a link that might help:
    http://www.obedient-dog-behavior.com/leave-it-command.html
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 2:53 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Pick up the toys, or don't allow her in the rooms where the baby toys are kept
    BradensMom1026

Answer by BradensMom1026 at 6:21 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I don't allow my dogs to have any toys that are simalar to my daughters liked stuffed animals. I also don't leave my dogs unattended in the house if I know they are not 100% trust worthy yet. I also give the dogs toys that will keep them busy for while. I also use a toy box that has a lid for my daughters toys. The dog sounds like she needs training and possible more excersise. Dogs tend to get into trouble when they have little training or are bored.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:35 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• keep them out his reach
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 9:52 AM on Sep. 21, 2010