Help with child driving?

Do you help with your child learning to drive or should I let dad do that?

kamore

Asked by kamore at 5:25 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• My children took drivers training and I had them drive whenever we went out to get the hours needed. I would give them gentle reminders on the laws of the road and correct them whenever they needed to be. Most times, I'd get a "I KNOW MOM!" however, my car, my Ins,my rules. I did it with all my Children, as I'm a single parent.
    lioness3e

Answer by lioness3e at 5:29 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• The better driver in the family - and the person with the most patience - should be the one teaching.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 5:26 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I think both parents are capable of teaching a teen to drive. Who is the BETTER driver? Maybe that one is best for the teaching if you are not comfortable with both.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 5:27 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Being a single Mom, Dad was not around very often to do this for me. My children had already left high school before they turned 16 and could take drivers education. I started out teaching them by having them drive in an LARGE empty parking lot. After a few hours every weekend, they got to know the feel of the car. When I felt they would be able to handle streets, we drove around our neighborhoods. I live in an oddly set out neighborhood, there is not cut through, you either live here or you are lost. After a few months of this, we graduated to driving back and forth to school. When all that was completed, my children got their learners permit. For the next six months, each of my children had a little notebook. They had to log 1,000 miles, with me in the car, without any errors, before I let them get a drivers license.

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 5:33 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• The other thing I made my children learn was the complete layout of every knob, function, etc that they would have to use to drive. i.e. high beams, windshield wipers, horn etc. I would let them sit in the drivers seat and I would ask them to turn on the left turn signal, turn on the windshield wipers. etc. After a few hours of study, I would blindfold my children and ask them to do different things. They need to be able to do these functions without taking their eyes from the road. I also taught them to look 'through' the car in front of them to see was the car ahead of it was doing. I taught them to scan the road from left to right to see things coming from the sides. The radio was never allowed on while learning, and the cell phone was in the trunk. For every 10 mph/speed, it takes 100 ft to stop on dry surfaces.  In snow or rain or with a load, luggage, groceries, it takes longer.

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 5:42 PM on Sep. 8, 2010