Is it harmful for my daughter to write/draw on herself??

She'll write words on her hands or arms - draw little (??) on her hand or ankle...
sometimes with a highlighter, sometimes with a Sharpie....

I don't think a day goes by where there's not ink on her!

p.s. she's 12 - has done this for years

bnjsmommy

Asked by bnjsmommy at 5:30 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• lol no im pretty sure its not harmful.. i used to draw on myself all the time when i was a kid.
    now, i just get tattoos.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 5:31 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Yes,kids do it all of the time. I wouldn't worry. I have even seen high school kids do it.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 5:32 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I hope not because my 2 year old colors on the bottoms of her feet all the time with markers!! ...and her belly...and her legs....and her arms... she's an Artiste!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:37 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• They are considered non-toxic for “normal uses,” meaning writing on posters, soccer balls, and such. However, they are not meant for use on skin or fingernails. However, according to the manufacturer [7], various Sharpies contain: n-propanol, n-butanol, diacetone alcohol and cresol. The first of these, n-propanol, is commonly used in cosmetics. The other three, however, are industrial solvents, chemicals that should not be sniffed, eaten, or put on the skin. As solvents, they penetrate the skin and fingernails.
    lioness3e

Answer by lioness3e at 5:39 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• LOL I'm almost 21 and I STILL do it sometimes. I've done it my entire life. I'm pretty sure it's not harmful.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 6:43 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• It depends on what type of pen she is using. As long as the ink she's using is actually non-toxic, then why not?

But if it's really a habit for her, why not get her some cosmetic pens make for that purpose?
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 7:05 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• My daughter writes on herself all the time. Heck sometimes I'll doodle on my hand or write a phone number down. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.
    webgirl8369

Answer by webgirl8369 at 7:12 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• If it was harmful my kids and I would be dead. I have a dd just like that and at 18 she still is LOL...my kids also like to draw on me, no biggy!
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 1:28 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I don't think it's harmful, but I don't really think it's terrific either. If she's been doing this "for years", you might suggest that she do it a little less - after all, she's older now ... she's growing up ... and she doesn't want to still be doing the same things she did as a "child", right? (said with a hug and a smile)
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 2:53 PM on Sep. 9, 2010