What do you moms think of kids miss diagnosed with adhd?

I am a nurse and have been working with a little boy that is 4y/o. He was diagnosed with adhd for almost 2 years and is on meds. After a few months I realized that he had normal behavior problems and lacked structure as well as his parents letting him run the house. He was kicked out of school and wild.I am proud to say that he is in school doing great and one of the sweetest kids I know!

thedies

Asked by thedies at 4:44 PM on Oct. 14, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• When I was about 14 we had a family friend that had a family emergency. We ended up taking her son for her while she was away. He was about 7 at the time and had been diagnosed ADD with meds. Well, the mother forgot to give us his medication before she left and we didn't end up with a key to the house. By the end of the two weeks he was a completely normal boy. But he said that he had never had bedtime or meal times or homework times. We all, at that age, got up at the same time everyday, did our homework right after school before we could do anything else, would eat dinner within about half an hour of the same time every night and had a set bedtime. Since he was living there, he did too. I think that the routine helped a lot. Children thrive on structure and routine. They need stability and that helps enforce it.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:49 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• I am sure there are kids that are misdiagnosed but, I wouldn't even look for that kid of diagnosis until they are 5 or 6. And not from a regular pediatrician. We are taking my SS to a behavioral health psychiatrist because if the way he is. We are very structured he has little sugar in his diet, he doesn't go hungry or thirsty. Our last option is a professional opinion/help. My older son I think has add but, no meds for him we just have to work harder at getting him to pay attention and learn what he is supposed to.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:06 PM on Oct. 14, 2008