Can you get pregnant on an IUD (Mirena)???

Ive had the mirena for about 6 1/2 months and like always I get nervous because my periods are never normal with this. Should I be worried?? what would happen to the baby if indeed i could get pregnant on the IUD???

Asked by TwistedMama27 at 11:02 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I just got the Mirena too. I read through the whole pamphlet and it said that only 1 in 100 women get pregnant with the Mirena. From what I understand from the reading of the pamphlet I was given, if you get pregnant while you are on the Mirena you will have to abort the child. That's what I understood. You can go to this website and it is the FAQ's for the Mirena. If you really have any questions you should contact your doctor. I wouldn't worry about it, your periods are going to be abnormal and will eventually stop because it reduces the lining of the uterus, which is what you shed during your period. I paid attention. I have 3 kids and I am 24, I am not looking to have anymore, but I don't have to have my tubes tied either. This was the next best thing!

Answer by Mommy2HAZE at 11:22 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Yes you can get pregnant but the chances are really low. My doc said I should only get a few periods a year with Mirena.

Answer by KimberlyMonique at 11:53 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• chances r very low, ur lateness is probably 99% caused by the iud, i was never regular when i was on it. not to mention u do get a lot of pregnancy symptoms too, so i wouldn't be worried if ur late.

Answer by mgm_5 at 1:21 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I'm not sure. I have been thinking about getting Mirena, so if anyone could send some info my way, thanks.

Answer by kaysha at 1:38 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• The chances are low. I think if I remember that it is comperable to tubal ligation, which is pretty good!

Answer by cacnotcam at 1:48 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Yes you can, but my doc said she has never seen a pregnancy with any of her patients on the mirena. And if you do get prego on it you will most likely miscarry. You will only have to abort if you have a tubal pregnancy. Those are very rare.

Answer by renajennjenn at 3:13 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• ive had mirena for three years and havent gotten my period at all except for a very samll bit of staining every few months if that often however a friend of mine did get pregnant while she had a mirena and the pregnancy carried to term and was fine

Answer by amber_8200 at 2:26 PM on Aug. 17, 2008

• I think it's almost impossible because I had Mirena for three years and my husband and I were VERY sexually active and I'm the kind of person that if it's at all possible I will get pregnant.No worries,Hun!

Answer by Anonymous at 5:14 PM on Aug. 28, 2008

• yes!!! I got pregant with the iud mirena in place, It was an ectopic pregnancy and it was very painful it caused alot of damage.. and i got it removed right away!!!

Answer by rinabella30 at 2:20 AM on Sep. 16, 2008

• I had it taken out... A month later I ended up pregnant.

Answer by mamajody0507 at 11:59 PM on Dec. 22, 2008