Help, my dog is itchy all over

I have a dalmation mix who has recently started scratching and chewing her belly and hips and tail and her skin is red. I gave her a bath with Selsun Blue thinking it may be yeast since she doesn't have any fleas. She stays inside and has not had any changes in her diet. I have also given her benadryl to see if that would help her if she was having some sort of allergy but nothing has helped.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:49 PM on Oct. 14, 2008 in Pets

• My dog does this around the same time every year.I use oatmeal shampoo. Seems to help her feel better.
    bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 4:53 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• she may just developed mange in the first stages but don't know. is any hair falling off. if not maybe not. google search the problem
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 6:38 PM on Oct. 14, 2008

• Many dogs have seasonal allergies. Is this a regular occurance this time of year? Allergies can be contact or food related or they can have Flea allergy. Are you using a flea product regularly? You said that you did not see fleas, but the area that fleas normally are seen is the tailhead (above the tail). Just a couple of bites can irritate a dog severely. There is no flea product in the world that will prevent fleas. They have to bite the dog in order for the product to work. It might be that you are not seeing the fleas b/c the product is working, but your dog is reacting to the bites. Oatmeal based shampoos work really well to give relief. The only other advice that I can give would be to go to a vet. They can get secondary staph infections from the scratching and that could be the redness that you are seeing. Good luck.
    aggiechristie

Answer by aggiechristie at 12:46 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I have a puggle and this time last year he developed the same allergies. Nothing has helped yet. I took him to the vet and they prescribed antibiotics, gave itch relief shampoo and said he has an ear infection cost me $200 and then the next day I had to take him to ER because he broke out in hives worse than the day before. They gave him a cortizone shot and prescribed prednisone. He is just really tired now and not scratching himself anymore but the bumps are still all over his body. Could this be more than allergies? I hope not because I am really worried
    nora17

Answer by nora17 at 1:37 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Redness and scatching all over is a good sign that your dog may have allegies. But to what is the problem. Like Ac says it is seasonal but it may be the flea bite, or the food. Our neighbor had to switch to science diet and use special shampoe for a month to relive the itching, along with the prednesone. But the dogs are fine now and off the meds but do have the oatmeal baths and another seline solution. We tried using a dilluted cup of vinager poured over her to help and it did. It soothed the skin. Grass was a problem also for her feet. Antibioctics were used to help any staf infection that had started and with in a month she was doing just great. Maybe a vet visit is in store your your baby to find out what they think. Hope you can get it under control soon.
    doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 3:22 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I recommend you take the dog to a vet
    Mooska

Answer by Mooska at 6:49 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Please get your pooch into the vet... there's so many things it could be.
    Nunyabiznes

Answer by Nunyabiznes at 12:40 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I would take him to the vet and if you find out it is overly dry skin you can get garlic pills and put a few drops of the liquid into there food each day and that helps moisturize them but they may have the faint smell of garlic seep through there skin plus it is suppose to help keep fleas away. I also heard the oatmeal shampoos help.
    jrsmith27

Answer by jrsmith27 at 9:08 PM on Oct. 21, 2008