Can babies hear through the headphones while in the womb?

I often wondered this while I was pregnant because right now I have an album playing that I listened to on my ipod pretty much everyday while I was pregnant and everytime I turn it off, my DD (two months) cries but she stops when I put it back on. I'm wondering if she knows the music from when I listened to it on my ipod. I didn't listen to it much on the stereo or in the car. So that's why I wonder if babies can hear what you listen to through headphones. Silly question I know.

GinNTonic

Asked by GinNTonic at 5:52 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• there is research that shows that babies can hear and recognize sounds in the womb
    angeline

Answer by angeline at 5:54 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Even if it's through ear phones though?
    GinNTonic

Comment by GinNTonic (original poster) at 5:56 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I think so..I use to put my ipod ear phones on my belly and she would start kicking and going crazy..I think they can
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 5:58 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• im not sure about ear headphones, but if its loud enough maybe, its amazing how what we do can affect our babies in the womb so much
    angeline

Answer by angeline at 6:01 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I have no doubt they hear it! We played a lot of Bob Marley when my sister was pregnant with her oldest. It was one of the only things that would calm her down when she was fussy after she was born. To this day, Bob Marley's one of her favorites, and she's 9. Same thing with my daughter. She tends to gravitate more towards the stuff I played a lot while I was pregnant. She's 4 now.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 6:01 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• They can hear what is going on outside of your belly. So, yes I would say. Congratulations!
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 6:05 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Evie that is awsome!
    GinNTonic

Comment by GinNTonic (original poster) at 6:09 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I think so. I played music a lot while I was pregnant, and I usually played a lot of the same songs and when my son was born, I would play the song and he would stop like he recongnized it lol. It could have just been me, but I know babies can hear in the womb. It's how the recognize their mother's voice.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 6:11 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I just wonder if they can hear through the headphones if it's in MY ears. NOt on my tummy, but through my ears. lol I know it's confusing.
    GinNTonic

Comment by GinNTonic (original poster) at 6:13 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I always played music for my son. I dont see why not. Its still noise going into the womb.
    mommyajay

Answer by mommyajay at 6:30 PM on Sep. 8, 2010