Does anyone else's school use recorded messages?

Our schools do, and I was told it was "occasional, for important messages", but now it seems like I get anywhere from 1-3 calls every night. They even call every Tuesday night to remind us that Wednesday is a minimum day. (Thanks, I think I have that figured that out after 3 years.) It's TOO much!

I even went in last year and asked to be removed from the call list and was promised that I was... but here we go again. Another school year of interrupted dinner times. How can I get them to understand that my concept of "important and occasional" is so far removed from theirs?

geminilove

Asked by geminilove at 5:52 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in

• Our school began these last year... they are very helpful but annoying I usually let them go through the answering machine! Talking about over doing a good thing!
    kamore

Answer by kamore at 5:57 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Yes, they usually will give you an options directory ans then you can TALK to a human! LOL
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 6:01 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Yeah. It gets annoying because my son is in pre-school so pretty much none of the messages pertain to him. I got one wicked early in the morning once about a delay or cancellation and I don't think it was even a day my son goes to school. But it's not al that often.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 6:07 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• no never..wow how annoying!
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 6:32 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• have they ever heard of email? thats what our school does! LOL
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 6:33 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• We get messages, but, only for absences that are unexcused, missed homework or bad grades or disciplinary action.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:05 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• No - but it may be that you'll need to request to be taken off the call list each year.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 7:36 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• our school has that, but they do fliers to remind about little things. the recording is just to remind you of the first day of school and if school is closed bc of weather emergency or something of that nature. that would be really annoying for every little thing lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:50 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I will probably end up in the office requesting to be removed again, but I'm peeved that I did that last year (have to request it IN PERSON!) and they didn't remove us last year when I asked.

If it was important stuff (like when they called about a sketchy van parked near the school..) I could see it, but they call with reminders about every vacation, every minimum day, every fundraiser, etc. And they email... AND they send fliers.

And it's ALWAYS at dinnertime when they call. We know it's the school because it's the only time the phone rings between 6 and 7 PM.
    geminilove

Comment by geminilove (original poster) at 8:01 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Don't just go in and ask them to remove you from the list, E-mail them a request too. I learned when it comes to anything to do with schools it's always best to have a record of every request, discussion with a teacher, etc.., because then when they say they don't know what you're talking about you can prove your point. By the way this is really good when you have a teacher who is snotty to you, but acts all sweet around the administration.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 12:32 AM on Sep. 9, 2010