training Poms

Got a Pom about 3 months ago, so she's about 9 months old. She's getting better about not going in the house, and a little bit about chewing things. We've definitely heard that Poms are among the hardest to train...wondering what you did to train your Pom??

dlandrum

Asked by dlandrum at 5:54 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Pets

• As with all puppies, they are chewing because 1) they are teething, 2) it is their nature. Be patient, it will get better.

Just say "no" and give him something he CAN chew on. Let him know it is his chew toy. Good luck.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 5:58 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Boundary and Natures Miracle (treat with the NM first, when dry, use boundary) on areas where she has accidents. When she does, put her nose in the spot and firmly announce that you are unhappy, and put her outside. Simply putting the pup out more frequently should fix this.

Chewing- Give plenty of things for her to chew on, and keep what you do not want eaten put up. She's a puppy, and is teething. Make sure she has plenty of interesting things to do, gets outside, etc- they chew out of boredom as well.

I had a Pom Pom for 12 years, and her puppy days are not forgotten! LOL, but she fast became a functional part of the family, and was in essence my first child. Be patient and good things will come, they are extremely smart, and very loyal.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:04 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• yeah...she goes through about a bone a day...and she's soooo much like a child and is selfish. we have two dogs so we usually give a bone to both dogs, and she always wants the one that our other dog has and will stare at her and whine until she walks away from it, then will grab it, and if our other goes to the other bone, she'll go over there and do it again...
    dlandrum

Comment by dlandrum (original poster) at 6:05 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• we definitely feel as though we are doing what we can to provide things to chew on and punishing her when she goes in the house...just didn't know if there was anything we were missing or anything else we could do...THANKS!!!
    dlandrum

Comment by dlandrum (original poster) at 6:08 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I have 2 poms that I've had since they were babies(they are 9 & 10 now!). To me they were no harder than any other dog to potty train. we were just constantly taking them outside every few hours until their bladder was big enough to last a little longer. I didnt have any problems with chewing, luckily! We had lots of dog toys and made sure they knew that that was their toys and nothing else was and yes they tore through several toys but no problems other than that!
    I love my poms and they are great dogs to have and can be trained but you just have to be patient with them. what color is your pom? i have a brown/fox looking one and a black/grey one.
    karenshell

Answer by karenshell at 1:07 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• she's a brown/orange-ish color Pom.
    dlandrum

Comment by dlandrum (original poster) at 1:14 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• i agree with the other ladies
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 9:50 AM on Sep. 21, 2010