for pagans and wiccans. Does this make sense?

I know a lady who is doing a Handfasting Ritual for her wedding but she believes in jesus christ and does christian things? makes no sense. either your christian or not. she has a pendulum, does tarot readings and says shes wiccan. ya right. im wiccan but i dont go by the bible, dont attend church, say god bless you, christian sayings etc. she must be a confused little girl. She asked me to do her handfasting because im the only wiccan she knows. i told her i cant nor do i know how plus you need to be state certified, she was like ya you can but i showed her proof NO i cant when i called a place then told me who to call to get it really done

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:59 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• As others have said, yes it does make sense. I was just reading about goddesses today and they had the Virgin Mary and Mary Magdalene listed, as well as Sophia. Some people incorporateChristian figures/deities into their pagan practice. I read about a pagan path that believes there is a father God (Yahweh) a mother Goddess (her name I cannot think of right now), a wisdom Goddess (Sophia) and that the "Virgin" Mary was the human incarnation of the Mother Goddess and Jesus was the Son of Yahweh in spirit form and of The Mother Goddess in her Human form and that Mary Magdalene was the human incarnation of Sophia. I thought it was all very interesting.

Nsbgirl

Answer by Nsbgirl at 6:50 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Yes it does make sense. Some wiccans follow both paths......... Idk why you think they wouldn't.... Wonderful thing about Wicca it means different things to different people.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 6:00 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• It makes perfect sense. Perhaps you are a little confused in the path of Paganism, in which where Wicca was founded. Our basic beliefs are we do NO harm, to each their own, live and let live. Expecting your friend to follow a strict path and one that does not speak to her heart is in itself harmful. How an individual chooses to commune with their deity is up to them, its personal and no one person nor group should take it upon themselves to say different. We are ALL different from one another and that is also the beauty of earth based religions.....our diversity.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 6:16 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I am a Christian Witch so I do understand that the woman is following her path, just like you are following yours, and I am on mine...it may not always make sense but then again, these days what doea???
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 6:17 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Walking a Pagan path opens up doors for each individual ... each person finds what fits them in their journey...
    My mother is a Christian - Witch, she incorporates much of her Christian faith into her path ... including using Angels
    as guides and has a firm belief of 1 God (Christian version) and Jesus being his son....
    I am a Wiccan - Witch and my path is as different from hers as hers is from mine, but we are both on our paths
    that feel/fit us...
    I would not condemn your friend for her beliefs, for they are to her as yours are to you....
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 7:06 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• It makes total sense. Many Wiccans follow a Christian pantheon. Most times they were raised Christian and find a bridge between the two easy to find. Christo-Wicca is a rapidly growing practice...

This may help you understand - What is a Christo Wiccan?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:55 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• It makes sense to me. I was Christo Wiccan at one point in my past. Not everything in the world is black in white. In fact, few things are. And yes, you could perform a handfasting, but you couldn't make it legally binding, just spiritually for them.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 6:28 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Yes, makes sense.
    There are many Christians who also follow a more nature based path(like Christian witches,etc).

One of the wonderful parts of this path is the ability to adapt those things you hold dear to you and grow in those without retribution.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:15 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Oh boy
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 4:20 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Makes sense to me, but maybe it's because I know alot of people who are both.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:58 PM on Sep. 9, 2010