Do car dealerships just buy cars from you??

I have two cars that I own outright. I want to get rid of one of them. Can I just take it to a car dealership and sell it to them??

SecretSuzy

Asked by SecretSuzy at 6:06 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Money & Work

• Probably not, but call a dealer and ask for some numbers to some wholesalers......they would buy it.
    kristina39150

Answer by kristina39150 at 6:10 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• It isn't a crappy car though...it is a 2008...
    SecretSuzy

Comment by SecretSuzy (original poster) at 6:11 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• yes, some certainly do ! i put my car for sale in a newspaper and it was a dealership that called me to buy it ! so yeah, give some a call and see what they'll offer you....you never know....call all the local ones....
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 6:16 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• thank you!!! I thought maybe I was really stupid for asking that!!
    SecretSuzy

Comment by SecretSuzy (original poster) at 7:11 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• make sure you know the blue book value before you call. you can find kelley blue book or car values at google
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:30 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• carmax will just buy a car from u and write u a check. I had a 6 month old nissan maxima(2008) with under 10,000 miles on it , bought it in full for 30,000 and i got 2o,000 for it. so i lost a little but i needed the money for it.
    indysownlilbit

Answer by indysownlilbit at 7:35 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Yes and no... a car lot selling cars at $5000 or under might not be interested in your car. A dealership selling Fords when you have a Honda might not want it. So you have to match the car with the dealer KWIM?

But keep in in mind that dealerships make money by buying cars at wholesale (cheap) and selling them at retail (a little bit more expensive). It might be to your benefit, financially speaking, to sell your car to the public and make a few thousand more.

GOOD LUCK!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 1:59 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Carmax is very easy. Chances are there is one near you. It's free to get an appraisal there. If you agree with the amount, then they just give you a check. Simple as that! I've done it before and it was very easy!
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 3:38 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• It would depend on the car dealership.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:31 PM on Sep. 9, 2010