Babies Encyclopedia: Should I get my son circumcized?

CafeMom Team will be posting Baby Encyclopedia questions in the Babies Category from Tuesday till Friday of this week. For every question you answer, you'll be entered to win one of the $25 Gap Gift Cards that we're giving away each day!

But there's a catch... only "real" answers will be entered to win the $25 Gap Gift Card. If you do not have tested advice or an informed opinion on the topic, please wait to answer the next question. There will be plenty of opportunities to enter the contest.

We are using these questions to create a mom-tested resource for new and expecting parents, so try to use proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling when writing your answers.

Read Official Rules.

CafeMom Team

Asked by CafeMom Team at 6:06 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm of the opinion that this is an unnecessary procedure, and should not be done without consent. Seeing as a newborn can't consent, I'm obviously against RIC.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:10 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I think Circumcision is largely about preference. In most of the families I know the decision is based on Dad's situation. I personally will prefer to have my son circumcized. I had an adult friend who at the age of 36 decided he needed to have a circumcision and he was in pain for weeks. He told me I had absolutely better have it done for my son at birth. Although there is a lot of debate about what an infant feels when he is circumcized I have never actually seen one show any pain afterwards.

GoldenLinds

Answer by GoldenLinds at 6:12 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I'm definitely against circumcision, unless it's being done for religious reasons. There is no valid reason for it. The two most used excuses are "I don't want him to be laughed at in the locker room", and "It's more hygienic". Both are incorrect. The US is the only country in the world that still routinely circumcises baby boys for cosmetic reasons only. But even that is changing, it's about 50/50 now, so the "laughing" excuse is out the window. Also, cleaning an intact penis is not complicated. Until the foreskin detaches itself (sometimes not until a boy reaches puberty), it's like cleaning a finger. Do NOT under any circumstances force the foreskin back. After it detaches, you just pull back and clean, it's not rocket science. Plus, it's a proven fact that an intact penis is more sensitive, and therefore sex is more pleasurable. Why would I deprive my son of that?
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:13 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Personally, I'm against circumcision because it's not necessary. The way I see it, I wouldn't have my daughter's clitoris, labia, etc. removed, why would I have a part of my son's genitalia removed? Anouck's answer is a perfect demonstration of what I think and how I feel about it.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 6:24 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• No, it's cosmetic, barbaric, and whether you believe in God or evolution it was put there for a reason.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 6:38 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I recently read a very interesting study.. More baby boys die a year because of complications during circumcision than in car crashes!!

http://www.examiner.com/family-health-in-washington-dc/new-study-estimates-neonatal-circumcision-death-rate-higher-than-suffocation-and-auto-accidents

MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 6:41 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• No. It is a cosmetic surgery that is not necessary as an infant. Rarely later it does become necessary (this is very rare if taken care of properly) though and then it should be allowed. Nature designed us to have that skin for a reason just as girls have extra skin and what not down there too. Personally I don't buy the religion aspect either because there are a few religions that push female circumcision and I do not know anyone who is okay with that. My son is intact even though his father is not.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:46 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I think is an intensely personal decision and what anyone else thinks about the matter is their opinion. There is no way in the world I would not circumcise my sons. We are Jewish and my late FIL was a Holocaust survivor. For me it is a way to celebrate my child's entry into the Jewish world and thumb my nose at those who wish that Hitler had succeeded.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:52 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• There is no right or wrong on this. It is your personal opinion after researching the topic.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 6:56 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• my two sons are.find all information on this subject and make your own personal educated decision.
    luvmyaustin

Answer by luvmyaustin at 7:06 PM on Sep. 8, 2010