Babies Encyclopedia: Have you seen any developmental setbacks in your preemie baby?

CafeMom Team will be posting Baby Encyclopedia questions in the Babies Category from Tuesday till Friday of this week. For every question you answer, you'll be entered to win one of the $25 Gap Gift Cards that we're giving away each day!

But there's a catch... only "real" answers will be entered to win the $25 Gap Gift Card. If you do not have tested advice or an informed opinion on the topic, please wait to answer the next question. There will be plenty of opportunities to enter the contest.

We are using these questions to create a mom-tested resource for new and expecting parents, so try to use proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling when writing your answers.

Read Official Rules.

CafeMom Team

Asked by CafeMom Team at 6:07 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i don not have a preemie but i will gladly bump this question...
    luvmyaustin

Answer by luvmyaustin at 7:04 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I had 2 but luckily they never had many problems. My son did have a speech delay
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 7:08 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• My oldest son was premature, on top of having other health issues. He had no breathing problems, but had issues gaining weight for the first year and a half of his life. However, now that he's eight years old, you would never be able to tell that anything was ever wrong with him!
    prinzesstephi

Answer by prinzesstephi at 10:10 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• My son was born only 5 weeks premature with IUGR and other birth defects. By the book, he is not developmentally delayed but he's a late bloomer with almost everything he has done! All babies are differently, regardless of setbacks and how early the baby was born - some are going to have delays while others are not. Each child is special!
    Miss.Cullen

Answer by Miss.Cullen at 10:56 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• As with Miss.Cullen my son was/is not technically developmentally delayed but definitely a late bloomer as well. He was 16 months when he walked, nearly 2 before he started REALLY talking, and other things that he just didn't do until later than my first 2, but he was still within the time frame of when he should do them. I used to worry about the "developmental setbacks", but I think it was just a normal worry.
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 11:24 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• My son was 4 weeks early and there have been some issues with speech, but nothing that can be tested as he is only 17 months. He was a late bloomer on some things but I sometimes think it is just that"late blooming" and nothing that can be connected to his early birth.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:22 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• It is said to not base milestones of preemies on the age from birth, but from the age they are based on the date they should have been born.

Example: If baby was a month early, give the milestone an extra months time before raising concerns on the issues.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:48 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• No.
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 11:27 AM on Sep. 9, 2010

• i did not have a preemie but i will gladly bump this question...
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 12:59 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• My son was technically a preemie, born at 36 weeks. He had a speech delay, and required speech therapy for over a year. He is all caught up now.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 10:47 PM on Sep. 9, 2010