Babies Encyclopedia: What are the best books for children under one?

CafeMom Team will be posting Baby Encyclopedia questions in the Babies Category from Tuesday till Friday of this week. For every question you answer, you'll be entered to win one of the $25 Gap Gift Cards that we're giving away each day!

But there's a catch... only "real" answers will be entered to win the $25 Gap Gift Card. If you do not have tested advice or an informed opinion on the topic, please wait to answer the next question. There will be plenty of opportunities to enter the contest.

We are using these questions to create a mom-tested resource for new and expecting parents, so try to use proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling when writing your answers.

Read Official Rules.

CafeMom Team

Asked by CafeMom Team at 6:07 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The best books for children that young would be the cloth books. That way the child can hold and manipulate them without ruining them. These can also be thrown in a washer if they get to dirty and still be used again.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 6:12 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I preferred cloth or board books with textures for the kids to play with. My son's favorite was Fuzzy, Fuzzy, Fuzzy. Brightly coloured pictures and very few words on the pages.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 6:17 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• My son had a fabric "crinkly" book that he loved - it was his first favorite toy. To read to him, I used board books with a lot of repetition and rhyming.

Answer by missanc at 6:30 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I would check out the library. It's free.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 6:44 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Board Books. Cloth. Or any type of touch friendly book..
    If a parent is reading then ANYTHING! :) Whatever parent may be reading at the time is just fine!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 6:48 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• A lot of times you can just look up online by age of the child and see what types of books are good for his or her age. At the library or bookstores the books are usually put in order by reading level. The library would obviously be the cheapest way to go since you can just get a membership and then take out books and exchange them for new ones. Plus it's an activity that you can do together and it doesn't cost anything! :-)
    sugaree

Answer by sugaree at 6:51 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• any books with colors and shapes and letters very bright books with primary colors
    luvmyaustin

Answer by luvmyaustin at 7:03 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Honestly, any books are great. Sometimes I'd read from one of my own books for my son. It's mainly them hearing your voice that is so beneficial. However, best would be books that rhyme and have bright colors that attract their attention.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:19 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• As far as reading I think that anything simple and east to read is good. As far as letting the child handle the book I prefer cloth because my daughters both bit pieces off of cardboard and foam books.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 8:56 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Books with mostly pictures are great for young children, with little to no writing. Thick cardboard books are also best, because they last longer.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:03 PM on Sep. 8, 2010