Join the debate: Is it boring to play with your kids?

From TheWeek.com:

"In a new British study, "The State of Play, Back to Basics," one-third of parents admitted that the activity left them bored. The study of 2,000 parents and 2,000 children also found that one in five parents had forgotten how to play with their kids — and one in ten children realize Mom and Dad think playtime is dull. Is it natural to find child-level amusements a bit dull, or are parents too self-involved?"

Cafe Meghan

Asked by Cafe Meghan at 6:19 PM on Sep. 8, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• No, but I also think it's important for children to be able to play on their own and with their friends or siblings. They absolutely do not need to be entertained by Mom all the time.
    yoliplus6

Answer by yoliplus6 at 6:21 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I think it's natural to be bored by children activities; their purpose is to entertain children, not adults!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 6:22 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• yeah it is...I enjoy art and activities but yes sometimes I get bored with playing with them because its just that kid activities! I still play with them and try to make things fun we do. My kids also entertain themself well but they like to play with me as well.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 6:24 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• Not boring all the time, but man, sometimes those games and toys get tiresome lol. And I agree with a previous response, it is important that they learn to play by themselves. ESPECIALLY only children. I'm a caregiver, not a vaudeville act, lol.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 6:24 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• It depends on the activity..
    Ive lost the skill on how to play barbies.. So not the funnest thing for me to do.. But there is still plenty I love.. Legos. Painting (sometimes). hide-n-seek (sometimes). Tea parties can be pretty cute seeing what your kids say..
    But I dont think kids need to be entertained all the time.. its good for them to play by themself, get bored sometimes, or play with a sibling/friend..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 6:27 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I think the people that do these studies don't know much about parenting.... We play with our boys but not all day everyday. They know having a good life requires us to work, and that it's not all fun and games, it's a balancing act... I will leave the fun and irresponsibility to our 2 youngests "disney dad". One day they will realize why he doesn't have his own home, and has to rely on others to live, because he spends all of his money on junk, and what he does to "entertain" them...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 6:29 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• It can be, sure. That's normal though, for we are ADULTS. The kids are the ones entertained the most by THEIR activities.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 7:07 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• If i didn't have a 4 year old i wouldn't spend my time building a fort, doing a 12 piece puzzle, or stand in line for an hour to meet Spiderman at the mall... I'm not really interested in those any of those things, but i did them.

I kind of resent the implication that considering legos and puzzles boring makes me selfish or "self involved".

I'm not sure 4y DS likes shopping or being forced to listen to NPR everyday, all the way to preschool...but he does. That's part of belinging to a family and I don't think there is anything wrong with acknowledging that some activities, maybe many activities, are boring for one family memeber or another.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 8:09 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• i really dont think its boring they have a hge emationation i love playing with my 2 year old he comes out with so many things his emagination just goes so far sometimes i find myself cracking up at the things he says ( he loves it because he says playing with him makes mommy happy) but i do get tired sometimes when im very sleepy since i have a 6 month old too sometimes im extremly tired but i still find time to play with him and spend time with him
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 8:09 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I hate playing with my kids... Honest! It's horridly boring, how could it not be? I mean, really, how many times can a full grown adult sing Intsy Bitsy Spider before they fall asleep?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:25 PM on Sep. 8, 2010